Skinny Strawberry Banana Muffins: free of butter and oil but loaded with flavor!
You guys know I LOVE to bake.
I bake cookies on a Tuesday morning just because “I feel like.”
I make brownies 1x a month because what beats a warm homemade brownie with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top?!
As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a love for baking, I am personally always mindful of the added sugars being consumed. Instead of avoiding baked goods completely, I give my body what it’s craving in moderation.
However, others around me (my boyfriend, family members, coworkers, friends) often tell me they have trouble with consuming sweets in moderation.
For example, a friend the other day asked me, “How can you eat just ONE cookie?!” And another friend asked me, “You are always eating carbs, how do you stay so fit??”
It’s totally normal and easy to overeat the sweets. I get it! For those looking to indulge, but without a ton of added sugar (especially those with diabetes) these Skinny Strawberry Banana muffins are for you!
And your friendly, loving RDN gal pal (AKA me) understands the importance of a healthy eating pattern low in added sugar so I’ve got your back. Let’s find new ways to satisfy that sweet tooth without compromising your health 🙂Have you ever met a muffin you didn't like? It's time to try another! Indulge in these muffins filled with fresh strawberries and banana! #krollskorner #muffinmonday Click To Tweet
These Skinny Strawberry Banana Muffins are…
- Easy to make
- A lightened up breakfast treat
- Have the perfect combination of strawberry & bananas
- Great for a brunch with the girls
- So flavorful!
Skinny Strawberry Banana Morning Muffins
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain or strawberry flavor!
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 small bananas, ripe, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped (about 15 strawberries)
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- splash of water
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. (I used a large muffin tin, you may use a cupcake pan for smaller muffins!)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the eggs. Add in the sugars and whisk again. Then add in the milk, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In another medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries. Be careful to not over mix muffin batter! Scoop the batter into prepared tins and bake for 22-25 minutes. The large muffins take longer so if you use a cupcake pan, I would check on muffins around 15 minutes.
- Use a toothpick to see if they are done! While muffins cool, make your frosting. Melt butter, then add in the powdered sugar and just a small splash of water. Mix together with a spoon and frost muffins once they have completely cooled down. Enjoy!
- If your frosting looks too thick, try adding in a tablespoon or 2 of milk instead of the splash of water!
Let me know in the comments below what you think of this recipe! 🙂