Table of contents
Creating this Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
Instant Pot Baked Potato soup is my new favorite soup to make in the Instant Pot!!
Well, this one and my Instant Pot Corn & Potato Chowder.
Sooo I bought a huge bag of russet potatoes from Costco the other day and this easy baked potato soup was the only thing I wanted to make.
Cameron loves loaded baked potatoes and I knew he’d love this soup too! It’s creamy, not too heavy, and perfect as a meal or can be made as an appetizer soup.
Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Ingredients
This recipe comes together in seriously no time and is hands off thanks to the Instant Pot. Here is whatcha need!
- Bacon: Thick cut bacon works best!
- Onion: A white or yellow onion will do the trick.
- Garlic: 2 cloves, or 6 cloves, honestly it’s up to you! 🙂
- Thyme: Adds such a great flavor to this soup.
- Russet Potatoes: Peeled and diced. You’ll need 5 large potatoes
- Chicken broth: Can also sub vegetable broth.
- Milk: I use whole milk but you can also use any % milkfat you prefer.
- Cornstarch: This makes the soup thick and creamy!
- Cream Cheese: Beware of soup curdling. When the cheese is too cold and the soup is too hot curdling will occur. Be sure microwave or set the cream cheese out until it’s soft. If you really do not want to use cream cheese, sub with 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Seasonings: celery salt, Ancho chili powder, salt and pepper
- Garnish ideas: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cooked bacon, chives, sour cream, hot sauce
How to Make Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Add bacon to insert; cook 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Keep bacon fat in the pot.
- Still on Sauté mode, add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth, and secure lid. Set to Pressure Cook/Manual on High for 8 minutes. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to quick release, then remove lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons milk and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté. Pour in cornstarch slurry, celery salt, Ancho chili powder, remaining milk and softened/melted cream cheese. Stir.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cheddar, bacon, and chives before serving. Bread for serving
My Go-To Baked Potato Soup Toppings
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- Bacon Bits
- Green onions
- Broccoli florets
Can you make loaded baked potato soup in advance?
Absolutely! This loaded baked potato soup recipe is the perfect make-ahead candidate, just store the toppings separately.
If soup is too thick, add in additional chicken broth when reheating.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Potato Soup
- Be sure to soften the cream cheese at room temperature or melt slightly in the microwave. Cold cream cheese will curdle in the soup.
- If you want some chunks of potato left in your soup, cut larger chunks of potato and cook for 7 minutes high pressure and do not use an immersion blender to smooth the soup out.
- Russet potatoes work best because of their starch content and make the soup nice and creamy!
- Sub heavy cream or half and half for the cream cheese (~1 cup will do). Adjust as needed.
- Don’t skimp out on the toppings! Loading up the soup is the fun part! Any leftover toppings can be stirred directly into the soup.
- Celery Salt and Ancho chili powder are optional seasonings but I find they add great flavor and depth to the soup.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
I hope you love this easy instant pot loaded baked potato soup. Here are a few more reader Instant Pot favorites!
- Instant Pot Vanilla Bean Yogurt
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Instant Pot Corn & Potato Chowder
This loaded baked potato soup recipe will be sure to be one of the best baked potato soup recipe you will try! Let me know in the comments below what you think!!
Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
- 6 strips bacon, thick cut
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt* optional
- 1/2 tsp. Ancho Chili Powder* optional
- 6 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced (~5 lbs)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk (+ 2 Tbsp. milk, divided)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
Garnish ideas: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chives, bacon. Serve with bread.
- Cook the bacon: Select sauté on your Instant Pot. Add bacon and cook 7-9 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally until crisp. Using tongs, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to cool. This is to garnish our soup later on! Keep bacon fat in the pot.
- Remain on sauté mode. Deglaze the bottom on the pan with a small splash of chicken broth. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add in the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. (Add in celery salt and ancho chili powder here if using). Stir 1 minute.
- Add in the potatoes and chicken broth. Secure the lid and be sure the valve is set to sealing. Select Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, whisk together 2 Tbsp. milk and the cornstarch to create a slurry to thicken the soup.
- Set the Instant Pot back to sauté mode. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and the milk and softened cream cheese. Stir. Use an immersion blender to blend until soup is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with shredded cheddar, bacon, chives, sour cream, etc. Serve warm.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie