This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It’s not soup season without this tomato tortellini soup!
I am declaring everyone’s Fall needs this soup full of autumn comfort.
This Soup Is:
- Quick and easy to make (seriously 30 minutes or less!)
- Filled with cheesy tortellini
- Ultimate Fall comfort food
- A family loved recipe using pantry staples
- Your new favorite way to eat tortellini
- Will warm you up with minimal time in the kitchen
- Satisfying and makes great leftovers
This soup, in a nutshell, has everything your pasta-loving, soup-loving heart desires. Perfectly cooked cheese tortellini, diced tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese galore.
It’s totally adaptable too. If you want to mix in broccoli, spinach or kale you totally can.
Or add in cooked Italian sausage for an even heartier soup too!
Ingredients you will need for tortellini soup
- Fresh rosemary
- Crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes (28 oz. can)
- Tomato soup
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Heavy cream
- Crushed red pepper/red pepper chili flakes
- Cheese Tortellini (I buy the 20 oz. bags of refrigerated tortellini)
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil (garnish)
How to make Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Melt butter. Sauté onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in all of the ingredients (with exception to the tortellini and parmesan) and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the tortellini and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and top with basil. Serve warm!
More Soup Recipes
I don’t know about you, but when the weather gets colder, all I want to make are delicious, homemade soups. If you’re looking for more soup recipes, I’ve got the perfect Soup Series for you to check out!
Tips and FAQ’s
- Freeze the soup by letting it cool completely and ladle into freezer safe baggies. Lay flat in the freezer on a baking sheet.
- This recipe has not been tested in the slow cooker (so sorry!)
- If you want a creamier soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup before adding in the tortellini. (or food processor or blender).
- This soup is versatile! Stir in hearty greens like kale or spinach at the end, add in mushrooms or carrots when sautéing the onions, stir in cooked Italian sausage if desired, and even use a different pasta shape if preferred.
- If using frozen tortellini, cook them separately according to package directions and then stir into the soup.
- When reheating leftovers, you may need to add more broth to thin out the soup.
- Can use olive oil in place of butter if preferred.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (~2 tsp.)
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (can sub. for crushed tomatoes)
- 2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans tomato soup
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (20 oz.) bag cheese tortellini (refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, for garnish
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onions, salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. Sauté for ~5 minutes.
- Then add in the Italian seasoning, red pepper chili flakes, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add in the cheese tortellini and cook for ~5 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked through.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or pepper if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with fresh basil and more Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.