This Roasted Tomato and Bell Pepper Pasta is an easy weeknight pasta! You can whip up the sauce in 30 minutes and have a delicious dinner in less than an hour!
One of my biggest goals for 2019 is to offer you all more dinner recipes. I figured why wait until 2019, just start NOW Tawnie! Plus, if I get the in rhythm of making dinner recipes for you starting today, hopefully it will feel more natural to do some come the new year.
Today was one of those days where I wanted ALL carbs. I had a bagel at breakfast, pasta at lunch, and pizza for dinner. No regrets! It was a yummy carb-filled day. And who knows, tomorrow might be the same or maybe all I will want is veggie soup!
Maybe you’re having a carb craving type of day today too and I’m happy you stumbled across this roasted red pepper pasta recipe!
I have been cleaning out the fridge this week — trying to eat what’s in the freezer and use up produce that is going to go bad soon if I don’t eat it soon. Do you have those kind of weeks too, where grocery shopping isn’t an option until you can get creative enough to use what you already have?!
It reminds me of a cooking project I had in college. The chef told us we had access to all of the ingredients in the fridge and any pantry/spice items we needed and we had to come up with a full menu: Appetizer, Salad, Main Entree and Dessert. It was HARD but also very fun to see how creative each group was. Apparently that professor was getting us ready for REAL LIFE situations!
The other reason I wanted to clean my fridge out this week is because this weekend is busy and we won’t be home much to eat everything. We have venue tours for the wedding at three different locations and I am hoping by Monday I will have a venue chosen! Why is this the hardest decision ever for me?! Fingers crossed we fall in love with one of these venues!
Roasted tomato and pepper pasta ingredients
For this roasted tomato pasta, you’ll need:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red bell pepper
- Heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red chili flakes
How to make tomato and pepper pasta
You’ll first roast the tomatoes and bell peppers with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper in the oven a 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes. If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, that’s OK, you can use really any tomato varietal!
While the veggies roast, you can boil off the pasta. Or if you want to make this recipe even more speedy, you can prep by boiling off the noodles in advance!
Then, sauté the diced shallot in a skillet. Once the tomatoes and red pepper have finished roasting, pulse them in a food processor to create a sauce and pour it into the skillet with the shallot. Add in the heavy cream, then cook until warmed through. Stir in the cooked pasta and enjoy!
Can I add a protein to this pasta?
Of course! This roasted bell pepper pasta is a great base for almost any protein. A few of my favorite add-ins include meatballs, shrimp, grilled chicken, and diced tofu.
Can I use another type of pasta?
Yes, any type of pasta will work for this roasted tomato pasta recipe. Personally, I like pairing long noodles with the creamy red pepper sauce, but any pasta shape will work.
How to reheat pasta
If not reheated the right way, leftover pasta can become incredibly rubbery. If you have leftover roasted red pepper pasta, I recommend reheating it in a skillet with a little water or cream over low heat. The extra liquid will prevent the pasta from drying out and becoming chewy.
Tips for making bell pepper pasta
I love the subtle onion / garlic flavor of the shallot in this dish, but if you don’t have any shallots on hand you can use a small yellow onion instead.
If you like your roasted tomato and pepper pasta on the spicier side, add in extra chili flakes. Just be careful, a little goes a long way!
And when cooking the pasta, be sure to salt the water. You want the pasta itself to have a little flavor, otherwise it gets lost in the sauce.
More easy dinner recipes:
- Kung Pao Pasta
- Fresh Herb Pasta with California Green Ripe Olives
- Pot Pie Pasta Casserole
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Easy Ground Turkey Pasta
- Spicy Zucchini Taco Boats
Roasted Tomato and Bell Pepper Pasta
- 1 lb (16 oz.) linguini
- 10.5 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 shallot* , chopped finely
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- red pepper chili flakes , to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss cherry tomatoes onto sheet pan (no need to cut them). Add bell peppers to the pan and toss veggies with 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minute, or until veggies become tender.
- Meanwhile, boil water for linguini and add a dash of salt to the water. Cook off pasta according to package directions.
- In a deep pan or skillet, add shallot and remaining olive oil and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. By this time, the tomatoes and veggies should be finished. Pulse them in a food processor until it becomes a “sauce.” Pour this sauce into the shallots and add in heavy cream. Let it come to a simmer.
- Add in cooked noodles and season with salt, pepper and red pepper chili flakes. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan if desired.