This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Penne Pasta, chicken, bell peppers and green chiles are getting ultra-spicy and cozy in this Chicken Fajita Pasta!
From the directions to the ingredients list, this is a pretty low maintenance meal. It’s also the perfect transitional pasta dish as we dive into Fall because it’s light and flavorful but also cozy and creamy at the same time.
There really is nothing fancy about what’s going on in this meal here but it’s still an impressive weeknight (or weekend) dinner.
You’ll absolutely love this recipe because it’s kicked up with lots of southwestern flavors from the Fajita seasoning mix and it’s ultra-creamy from the sharp cheddar cheese. But the best part is that it is all made in one pot, from the chicken to cooking the pasta it’s all done in one.single.pot!
So go on, grab the pasta from the pantry and some bell peppers and this chicken fajita pasta will suddenly be your new favorite one pot meal.
12 ingredients are all you need for this creamy, silky, spicy deliciousness!
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs!
- Pasta: We love this dish with penne pasta, but feel free to use really any shape you prefer. You could easily use a gluten free pasta too!
- Colorful bell peppers: I like to use a combination of green, orange and red!
- Chicken broth: chicken broth helps to cook the noodles since they get cooked in the same pot. You can also use vegetable broth.
- Milk: Use a whole milk to keep the pasta nice and luscious. You could also use heavy cream.
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar or pepper jack both are great options. You’ll add it in at the end to help bring the textures and flavors of the dish together.
- Diced tomatoes and green chiles: Somehow I always have these stocked in the back of my pantry, am I the only one?! You’ll need a 10 oz. can of tomatoes and a 4 oz. can of the chiles (You can use mild or hot).
Step by Step Directions
This meal comes together rather quickly so make sure you have all of the ingredients prepped and chopped before you begin cooking! Let’s do it:
- Heat oil in a large pot (I love using my Dutch oven for this recipe).
- Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper and cook. Set chicken aside.
- Add remaining oil and saute onions and bell peppers until tender and fragrant.
- Add the chicken back in, along with the fajita seasoning and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, green chiles, milk, broth and penne pasta. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for ~15 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Add the cheese, stir. Serve with chopped parsley or jalapeños.
How do I store and reheat this pasta?
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, heat on the stove in a pot until warm. You may need to add a little broth or milk to make it creamy again.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
I have not tested this recipe in the Instant Pot yet. So sorry!
What toppings can I add?
Add more shredded cheese, diced avocado, parsley, sour cream, jalapeños, red pepper chili flakes, guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, salsa…really any of your favorite tex mex toppings will work!
What other pasta shapes can I use?
Feel free to use any! Shells, elbow, bow tie, rigatoni, etc.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~1.5 lb.)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 white onion, diced ( ~1 cup)
- 3 bell peppers, multicolor, seeded and diced
- 1 pkg. Fajita seasoning (1.12 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles (mild or hot)
- 3 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 16 oz. penne pasta, uncooked (4 cups)
- 1 heaping cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or pepper jack)
- Garnish ideas: shredded cheese, diced avocado, parsley, sour cream, jalapeños, red pepper chili flakes, guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, salsa, lime wedges, green onions
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, or sliced into strips.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan. Add onions and bell peppers and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken back in, along with the fajita seasoning and garlic. Stir to combine until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, green chiles, milk, broth and penne pasta. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally so pasta doesn't stick, until pasta is cooked, about 15-20 minutes. It might look liquid-y, but the noodles will absorb the liquid and thicken when cheese is added.
- Once pasta is cooked, add the cheese, stir. Serve with your favorite garnishes. (green onions, jalapeños, salsa, guacamole, lime wedge, etc.)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, heat on the stove in a pot until warm. You may need to add a little broth or milk to make it creamy again.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.