Can’t decide what to make with ground turkey this week? This ground turkey pasta with creamy tomato sauce will have you begging for seconds!
Creating this shell pasta recipe
When I am in a pinch and don’t know what to make for dinner, shell pasta is typically the answer. It’s easy, quick, perhaps better than running to get fast food, and tastes good! Paired with a veggie and a glass of wine, I’m a happy camper.
Growing up, when my mom would work late nights and my dad was on dinner duty, we had three options: pizza, Chinese (takeout), or he’d make pasta. I don’t think he ever made anything like this ground turkey pasta recipe; he was more of a bag of frozen ravioli and a jar of red sauce kind of guy. My dad was quite the chef (*wink, wink*).
Psst…before we move on…be sure to check out this post on 10+ quick ground turkey dinner recipe ideas!
This ground turkey recipe is easily made with fridge and pantry staples and is a restaurant-quality pasta. To balance out this easy shell pasta recipe, serve with a yummy side salad.
Sometimes I feel we all think we need to overcomplicate dinner. Cooking is only as hard as you make it out to be. It’s a mindset, right? “I don’t want to cook. I don’t want to have to clean the dishes or go buy ingredients at the store.” It’s something you may need to take time to plan for and make time for. If it’s important to you, it’ll happen!
Ground turkey pasta ingredients
For this easy recipe using ground turkey, you’ll need:
- Medium shells
- Ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
- White mushrooms
- White onion
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
You’re welcome to play around with the veggies you add into this ground turkey pasta. Zucchini would pair nicely with the creamy tomato sauce, as would different types of mushrooms.Most Popular recipe on the blog – EASY Shell Pasta with Ground Turkey! krollskorner.com #pastanight Click To Tweet
How to make ground turkey pasta
To cook this easy ground turkey recipe, you’ll need one large pan to make everything in. Get the water boiling for your pasta and cook it according to the package directions. Then you’ll cook your ground turkey in a few tablespoons olive oil and set it aside.
Then you’ll sauté fresh minced garlic in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onion. Season and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions become translucent. You’ll then thicken with flour (gluten-free if you need it), beef broth, and tomato sauce and simmer until thick and bubbly. So far so good, right?
Stir in cooked pasta with heavy cream, Parmesan and you’ve got a winning, really delicious, easy dinner!
Can I make this ground turkey pasta gluten-free?
Absolutely! Nowadays, there are so many great pasta alternatives if you want to switch it up (or are gluten-free) — lentil pastas, chickpea pastas, black bean pastas, etc. would all work in this ground turkey pasta recipe. These pastas typically provide more protein and fiber, which is great.
Tips for making ground turkey pasta
Not a ground turkey fan? No problem! You can also opt for ground beef or Italian sausage if you’d prefer. But if you’re new to the world of recipes using ground turkey, make this shell pasta as written the first time you cook it. With the right seasonings, ground turkey can be incredibly flavorful.
For the best flavor, buy a block of Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself, or buy the pre-shredded Parmesan in a bag. Avoid the powdered stuff in a shaker can, as it’s not as flavorful and doesn’t really melt.
Sometimes I place my creamy shell pasta in the oven at 350 degrees F in an oven-safe dish to get it nice and bubbly. If everyone isn’t ready to eat yet, keep it in the oven!This creamy pasta is made with all of your fridge and pantry staples and is a perfect family pleasing meal! #krollskorner #weeknightdinner Click To Tweet
More ground turkey recipes:
- Ground Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Sriracha Teriyaki Ground Turkey Meatballs
- Avocado and Turkey-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Ground Turkey Swedish Meatballs
- Sweet Potato Turkey Burger Sliders
Ground Turkey Pasta
- 12 oz. medium shells
- 1 lb (16 oz.) ground turkey
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (15oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil water for pasta and follow directions on the shell pasta box. Typically 12-15 minutes to cook the medium shells.
- In a dutch oven or wide stock pot, heat 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil over medium heat and cook ground turkey. Once cooked, place ground turkey in a bowl and set aside.
- Then place remaining tablespoon olive oil in the pan. Saute the garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms and onions with seasonings until fragrant (about 5 minutes). Then whisk in the flour. Pour in the broth and tomato sauce and let it come to a simmer. Then add in the cooked ground turkey!
- Pour in your shells, heavy cream and Parmesan and stir. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- *Optional: place pasta in a cast iron skillet (or leave in dutch oven) and bake at 350 degrees F. for and additional 20 minutes. You can top with more Parmesan if desired. Enjoy!!
I hope this dinner makes life a little easier for you – let me know what you think of it in the comments below or by tagging me on social media! @krolls_korner