This vegetarian ramen is a healthy noodle bowl with flavorful components like fresh ginger and soft boiled eggs.
Homemade ramen recipe
Not only is this vegetarian ramen recipe quick to make and gorgeous, but it’s downright delicious, too! 30 minutes max, and you have a steaming bowl of deliciousness.
Slow simmered broths are the rich bases of typical ramen recipes. But there is nothing slow about this recipe. Weeknight ramen dreams do come true! We have been savoring this quick vegetarian ramen on a regular basis because it’s so easy to make and super comforting.
Move over, chicken noodle soup — ramen is the new bowl of comfort. I’ve made a Japanese-style soup with a simple twist, flavored with soy sauce, sesame oil and chili paste.
One of the best parts of this ramen noodle soup in my opinion is the addition of soft-boiled eggs. Not only do they provide a pop of color, but they are also a nutritious addition to the meal.
Vegetarian ramen ingredients
For the vegetarian ramen broth and noodles, you’ll need:
- Sesame oil
- Fresh ginger
- Vegetable broth
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Green onion
- White mushrooms
- Ramen noodles
- Soft-boiled eggs
I like to top my vegetarian ramen with marinated green onions. For those, you’ll need:
- Green onions
- Soy sauce
- Chili paste
- Red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
How to make vegetarian ramen
Unsure how to make ramen broth? Don’t worry, it’s easy. First, you’ll need to sauté the ginger and garlic in a little sesame oil. Then, add in the broth, soy sauce, green onions, and mushrooms. Bring that mixture to a simmer, then throw in the ramen noodles and cook until softened.
All you have to do then is ladle the vegetarian ramen noodle soup into bowls, garnish with the marinated green onions and a soft-boiled egg, and serve!
How to make soft-boiled eggs
My favorite way to make soft boiled eggs is by using the Instant Pot:
- Pour 2 cups of water in your Instant Pot.
- Place the steamer/trivet on the bottom and place 6 eggs on top.
- Put your lid on the Instant Pot. Plug it in. Set your Instant Pot to low pressure for 3 minutes. Turn the valve on top of the Instant Pot to sealing. (This will actually take closer to 10 minutes since your Instant Pot needs to come to pressurize).
- Once your Instant Pot is done and it beeps, use a towel to quick release the pressure (change the valve from sealing to venting).
- Take the lid off, and place the eggs immediately in a bowl filled with ice and water. Let the eggs chill in the ice bath for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from ice bath, peel. Done!
My next favorite way to make soft boiled eggs is on the stove:
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce it to a rapid simmer and gently add your eggs into the saucepan one at a time. You might not be able to cook 6 eggs in one pan, so you may need to cook them in batches. 4 eggs at 1 time max.
- COOK THE EGGS FOR 6 MINUTES. Set a timer!!
- When the eggs are done place them in the ice water for 30-60 seconds.
- Peel and done!
Can I add meat to this ramen?
If you’re not vegetarian, you’re welcome to add any meat you’d like to this homemade ramen recipe. The meat will need to be pre-cooked and added in alongside the broth.
Can I prep this in advance?
Unfortunately, vegetarian ramen is one of those soups that doesn’t keep well in the fridge. The noodles tend to soak up lots of broth and become soggy. Because of this, I don’t recommend prepping this ramen noodle soup in advance.
Tips for making vegetarian ramen
You must discard the seasoning packets that come with the ramen noodles. If you add the seasoning packets to this homemade ramen recipe, your soup will be far too salty.
If you don’t have any ramen packets on hand, you may be able to use angel hair pasta or another long, thin pasta in its place. The texture may be slightly different, but you’ll still wind up with a delicious noodle soup.
You’re welcome to add any toppings you’d like to this vegetarian ramen. Marinated green onions and soft-boiled eggs are just the beginning!
This quick vegetarian ramen is…
- Simple to make
- Only takes 30 minutes
- Easy weeknight dinner
- Full of flavor and nutrition
- Family favorite!
More easy soup recipes:
- Crockpot Tortellini Minestrone Soup
- One-Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Slow Cooker Green and White Chicken Chili
- Pistachio Pumpkin Soup
- Crockpot Spicy Four Bean Chili
Quick Vegetarian Ramen
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger , minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/2 bunch green onions , diced
- 4 oz. white mushrooms , sliced
- 4 packs ramen noodles (seasoning packets discarded)
- 4 soft-boiled eggs*
Marinated green onions:
- 1/2 bunch green onions , chopped
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chili paste
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Shredded carrots
- Dried seaweed
- Chili paste/sauce
- Sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the green onions. Set aside to let them “marinate.”
- Heat sesame oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and ginger and stir & sauté until fragrant. Be sure to watch carefully so it does not burn!
- Add in the vegetable broth and then the soy sauce, green onions, white mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Then add in the ramen noodles and cook until soft. 2-3 minutes.
- Pour soup into a bowl. Top with the green onions that have been marinating, sesame seeds, carrots, soft boiled eggs, dried seaweed, more chili paste/sauce.