All I want to do once the weather gets cooler is make soup! This Vegetarian One Pot Butternut Squash Soup is cozy, filled with fresh herbs, and will compliment any Fall or Winter night!
Aren’t one pot meals the best? Especially for those of us who HATE doing dishes! Lucky for you – you’ll only have to clean the pot this soup is made in and the bowls and spoons you eat it with!
First of all…what does butternut squash taste like?
Good! (hehe) It has a sweet flavor that many people find delicious and it is tasty steamed or baked…or in soups! It’s not stringy like pumpkin so it makes it easy to puree into soups like this one pot butternut squash soup!
Butternut squash is rich in vitamin C, Vitamin A, zinc, fiber and is a naturally low calorie food. I love getting in a wide range of nutrients in soups during the holidays because I always seem to catch a little bug this time of year. This soup always helps me feel better!
How can I make this recipe gluten free?
You can use gluten free pasta or omit the pasta completely and enjoy as a creamy soup!
How can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
Omit the last step of adding in the heavy cream. It’s VERY creamy and delicious on it’s own.
This soup is a great compliment to a Thanksgiving dinner. It’ll be a perfect dish if you have a vegetarian or vegan friend! You can make it without the lasagna noodles if you want to serve it as a pre dinner soup. Or if you’d rather have it for more of an entree, add in noodles! Lasagna noodles are fun like I’ve shown in this recipe – but you can add in spiral noodles or shell noodles as well!
[Tweet “This Vegan ONE POT Butternut Squash soup will warm you up this Fall and Winter Season! It is creamy (even without any added cream) rich in Vitamin A and so easy to make! #krollskorner”]
How do I cut a butternut squash?
Want to know my secret? I buy it pre-cut at the store. Even though the prep cut veggies are sometimes a bit more expensive, it saves me time. Plus, you don’t have to fear chopping off a finger! Eeek!
However, if you are interested in using your own butternut squash for this soup.
This soup is:
- Super easy to make
- Only uses one pot
- Vegetarian/Vegan friendly
- Easily made gluten Free
- Nutrient rich
I broke these lasagna noodles for the soup. I love using lasagna noodles because they soak up the flavor and it’s just fun!
You can ditch the noodles in the soup if you want. You can also add in a different type of noodles if you don’t have lasagna noodles. I love customizable recipes!
Who’s ready to get cookin’?
Vegan One Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 4 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 10 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Then add in the onions and garlic. Saute for 6-8 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook for 2 minutes to give the butternut squash some heat. Add in your broth (if not vegan can use chicken broth), salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and oregano and bring to a boil. Let the mixture boil for 10 minutes, or until butternut squash cubes are soft.
- Using an immersion blender and blend until mixture is smooth and no butternut squash cubes are left behind. Once it is smooth, add in your lasagna noodles - or pasta of choice.
- Cover with a lid for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 so pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of your pan. If the noodles soak up too much liquid, you can always add in more broth.
- Option if not vegan: Can stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream! Serve immediately. Soup can be made in advance. Cook off pasta separately and add in noodles prior to serving.