- [Tweet “Kohlrabi is an excellent root vegetable to cook with especially since soup season is upon us! Packed with vitamin C it is truly a flu fighting soup!”]
Kohlrabi and Potato Soup
- 1 medium sized white onion largely sliced
- 6-7 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small kohlrabi bulbs
- 1 parsnip peeled and cut into 1 inch strips
- 3 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth for Vegan option
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Optional: Dried Oregano for garnish
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large cast iron skillet combine onions and olive oil, and put them in the oven to roast. After 15 minutes add the garlic and stir. Check onions again after 10 minutes - roast until the onions are golden brown.
Meanwhile, peel the kohlrabi, parsnip and potatoes. Cut them into half inch chunks, and add them to a large pot with a large pinch of salt. Cover the vegetables with water and bring them to a high boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender enough for a fork to pierce through easily. About 10 minutes.
Drain the vegetables and put them into your blender. Add the roasted onions and garlic, and blend until the vegetables are completely pureed. Add the broth, garlic powder, onion powder and blend to incorporate.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and reheat over medium heat if need be. Top with dried oregano if desired.
Inspired by: House Vegan
Make with vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan option!