Summer Melon Smoothie: sweet, refreshing and the smoothie you’ll want on repeat all summer long!
This post has been sponsored by Sprouts. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Kroll’s Korner running!
Melons are hitting the stores and Sprouts has so many fun varieties to choose from!
Think beyond cantaloupe and watermelon…they have many others such as canary melons, galia melons, hami melons, santa claus melons and casaba melons too!
I love buying my seasonal melons at Sprouts because they have a great selection and are very affordable! I slice up the melon on Sunday’s and have it ready for smoothies and snacking throughout the week.
Often times when we aren’t familiar with a melon, it’s shape, or what it may look like or taste like inside we stick with what we’re familiar with.
Today, I’m going to help you brand out and dive in deeper to the Hami Melon and Galia Melon.
- Hami Melons are oblong in shape with yellow skin and green streaks throughout. It has an orange juice flesh and it’s flavor is reminiscent to a very sweet cantaloupe yet with more flavor and a firmer crunchy texture.
- You’ll want to look for fruit heavy for its size and a sweet fragrance.
- Pro tip: It’s a good source of Vitamin A and C!
- They look like a cantaloupe of the outside and a honeydew on the inside; it’s light green, smooth-textured flesh offers a delicious, sweet flavor.
- Ripeness is measured not by softness at the stem, but rather by color and fragrance.
- Choose melons that are firm with a sweet aroma; look for fruit heavy for its size. Yielding slightly under pressure.
- Pro tip: The deeper the orange color, the higher the sugar content.
Tips to making a delicious melon smoothie:
- The trick to a tasty cantaloupe smoothie is to make sure the cantaloupe is ripe, juicy, and ready to eat
- Make your smoothie thinner by adding milk, juice or water and power up the blender again for a few more seconds.
- If you want to make your smoothie thicker, add more frozen fruit (bananas), more ice or yogurt! Blender again for another 10-15 seconds until combined.
- If you feel like your smoothie is too bitter, the banana helps to cut that. Also, a little bit of vanilla extract does the trick too!
Ingredients you will need to make this Summer Melon Smoothie
- Hami Melon or Tuscan Style Cantaloupe
- Galia melon
- Greek yogurt (Vanilla or Plain)
- Bananas, frozen
- Lime juice
Equipment you will need:
- A powerful Blender – I use a Vitamix!
How to make a Melon Smoothie:
- Gather all of your ingredients and slice the melon into cubes. Place all ingredients into your blender, and blend until smooth. Make adjustments as needed if you’d like it thicker or thinner!
Is a melon smoothie good for you?
- Yes! This smoothie is a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and potassium.
Can you freeze melon?
- Yes. You can freeze melon, which works perfectly for this smoothie as well! Cut up into cubes and place in a heavy duty freezer friendly baggie.
I hope you enjoy this Summer Melon Smoothie – it’ll keep you cool all summer long. Be sure to head over to your local Sprouts to stock up on these fun melon varietals!
Summer Melon Smoothie
- 1/2 cup
Hami Melon or Tuscan Style Cantaloupe, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup
Galia melon, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup
Greek yogurt (Vanilla or Plain)
- 2 small bananas, frozen (or about 3/4 cup if sliced)
- 1/2 cup milk
- squeeze of lime
- Cut up the melons and place all ingredients to a powerful blender. Blend until smooth for 1 minute then heck consistency. If you’d like your smoothie thicker, add a touch more frozen bananas or ice. If you’d like it thinner add a touch more milk (or orange juice!). Pour into glasses and serve!