Healthy Shamrock Shake: A minty start your St. Paddy’s festivities with no food coloring or weird ingredients! This shake puts a healthy and nutritious twist on the traditional Shamrock Shake.
In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I wanted to make a more nutrient rich version of McDonald’s Shamrock Shake!
This glorious, minty, green concoction was originally introduced at McDonald’s in 1970 and has been a hit ever since because of its sheer delicious flavor.
You all know I am a smoothie lover, so I wanted to take this traditionally high fat dessert and turn it into something you can enjoy as a nutritious snack or treat.
Ingredients this shake has:
- Milk (can use almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, etc)
- Baby spinach
- Yogurt (can use a dairy free alternative
- Peppermint extract (or can sub fresh mint if you have it!)
- Optional: whip cream and cocoa nibs (can use coconut whip too!)
- Optional: ice (if your bananas aren’t frozen use ice!)
The traditional version of this shake is only available for a limited time at the fast-food chain, but my version is available year-round!
It’s the go to morning shake or a great afternoon pick-me-up.
How to make this shake:
- Grab a blender, and mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Seriously, that’s it.
Is this shake vegan and gluten free?
- You can make it vegan by choosing a dairy free milk, yogurt and whip cream. There are many available in the supermarkets these days!
- Yes, this is gluten free. No wheat, rye or barley involved.
- This smoothie is also Paleo friendly!
Healthy Shamrock Shake
- 1 cup low fat milk or fat-free milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 large bananas, frozen
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
Optional topping ideas:
- cocoa nibs, whipped cream
- Blend all ingredients together and top with whipped cream and cocoa nibs.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie