Creamy Chocolate Smoothie
Chocolate | Published Jun 3, 2022 | Updated Jun 2, 2022 | By Tawnie
A few years ago I posted this peanut butter banana smoothie and since we’re big chocolate fans around here I wanted to take some inspiration from that recipe to make a delicious creamy chocolate smoothie.
This post has been sponsored by California Prunes. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Kroll’s Korner running!
Not only have I been loving snacking on prunes but I am equally loving adding prunes into my smoothies and even my cookies too! They add wholesome energy to this smoothie and lots of natural sweetness.
This chocolate smoothie really couldn’t be easier to make! Just gather all of your ingredients and toss them in the blender until smooth.
Loaded with tons of other good for you ingredients like Greek yogurt, oats and peanut butter, this smoothie is much more filling and satisfying than your average smoothie recipe.
Table of contents
And the great thing about smoothies too is how customizable they are, right?! Feel free to swap almond milk with soy milk, add in chia seeds, almond butter instead of peanut butter…you get the idea!
You will adore how creamy, nutritious, easy and satisfying this smoothie is!
I’ve made many chocolate smoothies and I keep coming back to this combination as my favorite. It’s by far the best tasting, best textured and perfectly creamy.
- Frozen bananas: frozen bananas to keep the smoothie cold and adds the perfect touch of natural sweetness
- Prunes: Yes – in a smoothie! They are chock full of potassium, fiber, and vitamin K.
- Quick oats: My secret weapon to make smoothies thicker, heartier and and seriously satisfying!
- Cocoa powder: Can also use your favorite cacao powder for the perfect chocolatey touch.
- Milk: I used almond milk but feel free to use your favorite milk.
- Greek yogurt: Instead of adding protein powder, I love adding in a dollop of Greek yogurt for a protein punch. Plus, it adds to the creaminess factor!
- Peanut butter: I told ya this smoothie is full of goodness that won’t leave you feeling hungry! Add in your favorite creamy peanut butter because what’s better than peanut butter + chocolate?!
- Flaxseed: I like to call these nutritional boosters! For a little extra fiber and minerals, add in a tablespoon of flaxseed or even chia seeds, too!
Step by Step Directions
Best thing about smoothies is how streamlined and simple they are to make!
- Gather all of your ingredients
- Blend until smooth in a high powered blender.
- Taste and adjust – you may want to add more milk to thin it out or add more chocolate or peanut butter to get it to your desired taste and texture!
- New research indicates that prunes help prevent bone loss, and this Chocolate Smoothie is an easy way to incorporate prunes into your daily diet!
- Prunes provide natural sweetness, so no need to add in honey or maple syrup in this recipe.
- Prunes have no cholesterol, no added sugar, no sodium and no fat!
- New research says just 5-6 prunes a day preserves hip bone mineral density and may reduce hip fracture risk in postmenopausal women.
- Add in nutritional boosters like chia seeds, hemp seeds or a scoop of your favorite protein powder!
- Prep the smoothie in advance: blend the smoothie up, pour into ice cube trays and freeze. When you’re ready for a smoothie, pop the cubes into the blender with a little more milk, blend until smooth and enjoy!
- Add in veggies if you’d like: a handful of spinach or frozen cauliflower would be perfect additions.
- Adjust your smoothie: add more liquid if you prefer it more on the thinner side or add more frozen bananas to thicken it up!
- Use ripe bananas: using frozen ripe bananas will help give the smoothie the perfect amount of natural sweetness.
- Use frozen fruit: this helps to keep this chocolate smoothie thick and cold.
More Healthy Smoothie recipe you will love
shop this post
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Creamy Chocolate Smoothie
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 5 prunes
- 2 ripe, frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- In a large high powered blender, add in all of the ingredients and blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- If needed, add more milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Sometimes adding in a small pinch of salt brings out the sweetness!
- Garnish your glass with melted chocolate if you’re feeling fancy, like I did in the photos!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie