Banana Carrot Muffins are soft, fluffy and great for a grab-and-go breakfast option.
Table of contents
I love having one with some fresh fruit and yogurt for a more balanced and satisfying breakfast but they also make for a great snack with some peanut butter too!
These banana carrot muffins are a great recipe to make when you have those ripe bananas sitting on your counter and you’re not sure what to make with them!
These Banana Carrot Muffins are:
- Easy to make
- Great for kids and adults
- Packed with wholesome ingredients
- Great way to use up ripe bananas
- Moist, soft and fluffy
- Freezer friendly
Ingredients you will need
- Flour: I usually make this recipe with regular All-Purpose flour, but you can also use a whole wheat flour for a boost of fiber if you prefer.
- Flaxseed: for fiber and omega 3 fatty acids
- Brown sugar: For a touch of sweetness! Dark brown sugar gives these muffins a rich molasses flavor.
- Carrots: Because Carrot Banana Muffins! Grate the carrots using a box grater.
- Ripe bananas: make sure the bananas are ripe, and not green for this recipe.
- Prunes (dried plums): I love these little bite sized nutrition powerhouses. They’re rich in fiber and also contain B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants which all promote good health.
Step by Step Directions
*Scroll down to the recipe card for the full directions*
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, egg, oil, vanilla and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
- Add in the shredded carrots and diced prunes.
- Stir to combine.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin and bake 14-15 minutes.
Tips and Substitutions
- Substitute the oil for a full fat yogurt if desired.
- Shred your own carrots: I recommend to grate the carrots using a box grater/ cheese grater
- Great snack for toddlers!
- Substitute the prunes the raisins if you prefer.
- Store cooled muffins in an air-tight container or freeze for up to 3 months.
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Banana Carrot Muffins with Prunes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can also sub for whole wheat flour)
- 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed meal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (~ 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried plums (prunes), pitted and quartered
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12 count cupcake tin with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the bananas, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg until combined.
- Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Add in the carrots and the prunes and fold until all ingredients are combined and no more flour pockets remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and serve warm!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie