This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana Carrot Muffins are soft, fluffy and great for a grab-and-go breakfast option.
I love having one with some fresh fruit and yogurt for a more balanced and satisfying breakfast but they also make for a great snack with some peanut butter too!
These banana carrot muffins are a great recipe to make when you have those ripe bananas sitting on your counter and you’re not sure what to make with them!
These Banana Carrot Muffins are:
- Easy to make
- Great for kids and adults
- Packed with wholesome ingredients
- Great way to use up ripe bananas
- Moist, soft and fluffy
- Freezer friendly
Ingredients you will need
- Flour: I usually make this recipe with regular All-Purpose flour, but you can also use a whole wheat flour for a boost of fiber if you prefer.
- Flaxseed: for fiber and omega 3 fatty acids
- Brown sugar: For a touch of sweetness! Dark brown sugar gives these muffins a rich molasses flavor.
- Carrots: Because Carrot Banana Muffins! Grate the carrots using a box grater.
- Ripe bananas: make sure the bananas are ripe, and not green for this recipe.
- Prunes (dried plums): I love these little bite sized nutrition powerhouses. They’re rich in fiber and also contain B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants which all promote good health.
Step by Step Directions
*Scroll down to the recipe card for the full directions*
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, egg, oil, vanilla and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
- Add in the shredded carrots and diced prunes.
- Stir to combine.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin and bake 14-15 minutes.
Tips and Substitutions
- Substitute the oil for a full fat yogurt if desired.
- Shred your own carrots: I recommend to grate the carrots using a box grater/ cheese grater
- Great snack for toddlers!
- Substitute the prunes the raisins if you prefer.
- Store cooled muffins in an air-tight container or freeze for up to 3 months.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ((can also sub for whole wheat flour))
- 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed meal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (~ 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried plums (prunes), pitted and quartered
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12 count cupcake tin with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the bananas, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg until combined.
- Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Add in the carrots and the prunes and fold until all ingredients are combined and no more flour pockets remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and serve warm!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.