What are some of your favorite easy weeknight dinners? Right now ours is this sausage and rice skillet because it is soo easy and tasty!
Table of contents
Meals like this sausage and rice skillet remind me of home. Growing up my mom made sure a home cooked meal was made for us (a majority of the nights) and that it was a balanced meal. In this recipe I recreated her version of sausage, veggies and rice and think I did pretty darn good. 😉
- Chicken Sausage Links: I like to buy a roasted red bell pepper variety or Italian style, but you can purchase any kind you prefer!
- Red and Green Bell Peppers: Or you can switch it up and use yellow or orange, too!
- Seasonings: Cayenne, Paprika, salt and pepper
- Chicken Broth: can also use vegetable broth
How to make Sausage and Rice Skillet:
- Heat the olive oil and saute the bell peppers and onions.
- Add in the seasonings and sliced sausage.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and rice. Stir. Add in broth, bring to simmer.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
This Skillet is:
- A healthy weeknight (or weekend!) dinner.
- Makes great leftovers for lunch the next day
- Budget friendly
- Easy to make
- Loved by many!
Helpful tips when making sausage and rice skillet:
- You can use a large nonstick skillet or a cast iron skillet to make this dish.
- No need to make the rice in advance, it cooks with the meal!
- Switch up the veggies! Add broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, or zucchini.
- Be sure to have a nice non-slip cutting board and sharp knife to make cutting the veggies a breeze.
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Sausage, Peppers and Rice Skillet
- Skillet of choice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. chicken sausage, sliced (like Aidells)
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1, (14.5 oz. can) petite diced tomatoes
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Then add in the bell peppers and onions. Saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper. Stir. Add in the sausage and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and rice. Stir until rice is incorporated.
- Add in broth, bring to simmer.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done. Garnish with parlsey and serve immediately.
- Use different colored bell peppers or add in different veggies such as broccoli or asparagus!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie