Mediterranean Chicken and Rice is a restaurant style dish that is made with fresh Mediterranean flavors. A nutritious dinner made in an hour that the whole family will enjoy.
“More Mediterranean dinners please!”
That was a popular request on a recent poll I sent out in my newsletter last month. SOoOOoOo here we go!
I’m delivering all things Mediterranean, starting with this easy and flavorful One Pan Mediterranean Chicken and Rice dinner. (or lunch!).
I’m all about using the cast iron skillet to whip up dinners. If it can be made using one pan, I’m in. Who else dreads the mound of dishes after a long day? The less dishes, the happier I am. You too, right?!
What if I don’t have a cast iron pan?
- You can use a regular deep frying pan too!
How do I season my cast iron skillet?
- Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
- Dry thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
- Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
- Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
What are the commonly used Mediterranean ingredients?
- A lot of Basil, cucumbers, dill, fennel, feta cheese, garlic, honey,
lemon, mint, olive oil, oregano, yogurt.
Tell me more about this yellow rice!
- This yellow rice is the best rice I’ve ever had. We made if over Christmas and we are now obsessed!
- Use Jasmine rice! Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor.
- You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the international foods aisle or in the rice section, usually on the bottom shelf. I like to buy it in bulk!
SPICE IT UP!
Adding in the turmeric not only gives it this beautifully glowing yellow color but it adds a richness to the dish. Add in cumin so it adds to the nutty flavor of the jasmine rice!
What rice can I use if I don’t have jasmine?
- Any white long grain white rice works! (Cooking time and liquid for brown rice will vary)
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
- Yes! I would slice them in half lengthwise to make them thinner and easier to cook!
One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless (about 5 chicken thighs)
- 1.5 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
For the yellow rice:
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced (or yellow onion is ok too!)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
Garnish ideas: kalamata olives, feta cheese, fresh parsley, lemon zest, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, mix chicken thighs with oregano, parsley, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in olive oil, then place seasoned chicken onto cast iron skillet (or the pan you are using) and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Chicken won’t cook completely, that’s OK because it will be going into the oven to cook all the way!
- Remove the chicken from the cast iron and set side on a plate. Keep the cast iron on medium heat, melt the butter and add in diced onion. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then stir in garlic.Then, add in the uncooked rice and stir for 30 seconds. Then add in the chicken broth, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, stir. Place chicken back in pan on top of the uncooked rice. Cover with foil and bake in your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and rice is cooked. Garnish with parsley and other garnish suggestions and enjoy!