This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
What are some of your favorite easy weeknight dinners? Right now ours is this sausage and rice skillet because it is soo easy and tasty!
Meals like this sausage and rice skillet remind me of home. Growing up my mom made sure a home cooked meal was made for us (a majority of the nights) and that it was a balanced meal. In this recipe I recreated her version of sausage, veggies and rice and think I did pretty darn good. 😉
- Chicken Sausage Links: I like to buy a roasted red bell pepper variety or Italian style, but you can purchase any kind you prefer!
- Red and Green Bell Peppers: Or you can switch it up and use yellow or orange, too!
- Seasonings: Cayenne, Paprika, salt and pepper
- Chicken Broth: can also use vegetable broth
How to make Sausage and Rice Skillet:
- Heat the olive oil and saute the bell peppers and onions.
- Add in the seasonings and sliced sausage.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and rice. Stir. Add in broth, bring to simmer.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
This Skillet is:
- A healthy weeknight (or weekend!) dinner.
- Makes great leftovers for lunch the next day
- Budget friendly
- Easy to make
- Loved by many!
Helpful tips when making sausage and rice skillet:
- You can use a large nonstick skillet or a cast iron skillet to make this dish.
- No need to make the rice in advance, it cooks with the meal!
- Switch up the veggies! Add broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, or zucchini.
- Be sure to have a nice non-slip cutting board and sharp knife to make cutting the veggies a breeze.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. chicken sausage, sliced ((like Aidells))
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1, (14.5 oz. can) petite diced tomatoes
- Parsley for garnish
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Then add in the bell peppers and onions. Saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper. Stir. Add in the sausage and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and rice. Stir until rice is incorporated.
- Add in broth, bring to simmer.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done. Garnish with parlsey and serve immediately.
- Use different colored bell peppers or add in different veggies such as broccoli or asparagus!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.