Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake with Broccoli
Casseroles | Published Dec 10, 2020 | Updated Dec 10, 2020 | By Tawnie
Alright. Let me tell you about this fail-proof, creamy, cheesy, dreamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake.
The base of this pasta dish is a homemade white cream sauce also known as Alfredo sauce. The sauce becomes creamy and clings to the noodles as it bakes and the mozzarella cheese melts right on top of the entire dish and it’s just pure awesome-ness. Mmm.
Table of contents
Making the sauce from scratch is just so much better than the jarred stuff. And pro tip: using freshly grated Parmesan cheese right from the block is essential to a smooth, rich, creamy sauce!
This meal can really be thrown together in a breeze especially with some minimal prepping.
Take any leftover cooked chicken and dice it up. Pre cook the pasta and broccoli and then all you have to do when you’re ready to make dinner is whip up the Alfredo sauce, toss it all together and bake. Easy weeknight dinner problems solved!
Ingredients you will need
- Pasta: We love this chicken Alfredo pasta bake with Mezzi Rigatoni, but you can use 1lb. of your favorite pasta. (Penne, Ziti, Shells, Farfalle, Fussili etc.)
- Broccoli: To streamline the process, the broccoli gets boiled with the pasta in the same pot during the last 3 minutes of the pastas cook time. The broccoli becomes perfectly tender and then you simply drain the noodles and broccoli at the same time.
- Chicken: 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced into small bite sized pieces. This chicken Alfredo pasta is great if you have leftover chicken since you can just toss it right into the pasta casserole!
- Flour & Butter: needed for making the béchamel Sauce (white sauce/Alfredo sauce). You will cook the flour and butter to make a roux.
- Milk: I use whole milk. This is needed for the sauce.
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic
- Parmesan cheese: Using freshly grated Parmesan from the block is best. Using the powdered cheese will leave a grainy texture in the sauce and doesn’t melt nicely.
- Mozzarella cheese: this is the finishing touch before it gets baked! Freshly shredded mozzarella is best (not the pre-shredded stuff).
Step By Step Directions
- If your chicken isn’t already cooked, go ahead and cook the chicken. Dice into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- While the chicken cooks, boil water for pasta and cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 3 minutes of the pastas cook time, toss in the chopped broccoli pieces. Drain and place in the bowl with the chicken.
- Make the Alfredo sauce. Pour the sauce over the pasta, broccoli and chicken and pour into your casserole dish/baking dish.
- Top the pasta with mozzarella cheese and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and barely starts to turn brown.
Tips and Variations
- Use any kind of cooked chicken: leftover rotisserie chicken, roasted chicken, etc.
- Not into chicken at all? Nix it! Make as is without the chicken, or add in additional veggies such as mushrooms or cauliflower.
- Use your favorite short pasta: Penne, Ziti, Shells, Rotini, Farfalle, Fussili etc.
- Purchase a block of fresh Parmesan cheese and fresh mozzarella cheese: the fresh cheeses both melt much better than the pre-grated or shredded cheeses.
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- 1 lb. pasta (Mezzi Rigatoni, penne, rotini, etc.)
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces (about 2 small heads of broccoli)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook the chicken if not already cooked and dice into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 3 minutes, add the broccoli in with the pasta. Drain and rinse the pasta and broccoli with cold water to stop the cooking process. Pour into large bowl with the chicken.
- Make the Alfredo sauce: Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat and melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk the roux for 1-2 minutes
- Slowly whisk the milk in increments. Repeat until all milk has been added. Add in the Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce will appear thin, but will thicken as it bakes.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, broccoli and chicken and pour into your casserole dish/baking dish. Mix until combined and pasta is coated evenly.
- Top the pasta with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and barely begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm. Garnish with parsley or red pepper chili flakes, if desired!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
Cooking for 2. Can I cut the recipe in half?
Hi! I haven’t personally done it but I am sure that would be just fine! xo, Tawnie
I made this for dinner tonight and it was great! I made as the recipe says all besides adding more parm to the sauce and a little more cheese on top! We all liked it !! Will make again for sure
Aw yay! Thanks so much Shelby I appreciate it! 🙂
Totally awesome !!!
Thanks so much Lori!
The sauce did not thicken after baking. It was soupy on the bottom. What went wrong?
Hi Coriann, that’s strange! Did you use an entire pound of pasta? You could try using a little less milk and perhaps using some heavy cream to make it thicker/creamier! So sorry about that tho but thank you so much for visiting my site and making it. xo, Tawnie
I love a good pasta bake and it’s a great idea to save time and pots by cooking the broccoli with the pasta too.
The broccoli + pasta trick is my favorite! haha thank you so much Amanda! xo, Tawnie
Oh wow. This looks so creamy and indulgent. I can’t wait to try it.
Sooo creamy yes! Thank you, I hope you love it! xo, Tawnie
Oh what a marvelous recipe for something so good and comforting! This recipe is so easy to throw together for a fast weeknight dinner or even to make it fancy for a Friday date night meal. So good!
Thank you soo much! Perfect for a date night too I love that idea!
Oh my heavens! Mouth watering goodness I could sink my teeth into!
Thank you so much Beth! xo, Tawnie
Oh yum! What an amazing pasta bake! I love all those flavors and how easily it comes together.
Thank you so much Tara! Such an easy dinner! xo, Tawnie