One Pot Vegetarian Corn and Potato Chowder = a perfect weeknight winter meal!
Try my lightened up version of chowder using fresh veggies and a lot of fresh herbs too! I like to add in beans for plant based protein since this is a vegetarian meal. Feeling like you need some animal protein? Try it with diced up chicken!
Chowder is typically made with cream or milk. For my recipe I chose milk because so often I feel like chowders are heavy and leave me feeling too full which can be unsettling. Do you ever feel that way?! Don’t get me wrong thought, creamy clam or corn chowder is h-e-a-v-e-n too. But moderation is key!
Corn and Potato Chowder
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium Russet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 10 baby carrots diced
- 15 white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded, halved and diced
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk or whole is OK too!
- 1 can Great northern white beans Save liquid (~15 oz can)
- 1 can Yellow corn Save liquid (~15 oz can)
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, garlic, potato, celery, mushrooms, bell pepper, and carrots into a large soup pan with the EVOO and butter.
- Heat the ingredients until sizzling then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes making sure to stir occasionally so the ingredients do not stick.
- Pour in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring this to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and cover again for 15 minutes while soup simmers. After the 15 minutes the vegetables should be tender.
- Lastly, add in the milk, beans, and corn - including the liquid in the cans - and the sage and rosemary. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!