Creating this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
Growing up, on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning my family never really did a sit down for a formal breakfast. We usually just sat around the Christmas tree with our cocoa and snacked on this monkey bread.
It wasn’t until recently my mom started making this slow cooker breakfast casserole and we’ve all become obsessed. She makes it the night before and it’s hot & ready for us in the AM. With the holiday’s being so busy and having a group of people over, this casserole makes the morning a breeze.
Table of contents
This Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole is:
- Satisfying and comforting
- So easy to make
- Freezer friendly
- Great for Christmas morning or hosting brunch
- Amazingly adaptable
- A delicious slow cooker breakfast (Is there anything the slow cooker can’t do?!)
Ingredients you’ll need to make a Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Eggs – eggs are packed with protein. 6 grams per large egg! They are an excellent source of eight essential nutrients there and are only 70 calories per egg.
- Hash Browns – I like using frozen hash browns for this recipe for ease. However, you can also use a baguette broken into pieces ( 4 cups bread)
- Ham – Ham is a good source of protein, selenium, phosphorus and zinc. It’s also a popular item to have around during the holiday season, so if you have leftovers, this breakfast casserole is a great way to use it up.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – or a white cheddar is also delicious too!
- Bell Peppers – I just love the combination of eggs and bell peppers, but bell peppers also add a nutrition benefit: antioxidants. These antioxidants may help improve our immune function, great for this time of year for fighting off colds.
- Milk – As we know milk is a rich source of calcium. I prefer cow’s milk since it is fortified with Vitamin D.
- Other ingredients needed include:
- Garlic Powder
- Green Chiles
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Garnish ideas: green onions, avocado, hot sauce, chives
How to make a Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Chop onion and bell peppers and saute until vibrant and tender. Add in salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in green chilies towards the end. Stir and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and mustard together. Set aside.
- Grease bottom of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place half of all of the ingredients in the first layer: half of the bag of hash browns, cubed ham, onions and bell pepper mixture and cheese.
- Repeat the layers again with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over all of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours. Garnish with diced green onions, avocado, hot sauce, etc.
Tips & Variations
- Keep the hash brown frozen, no need to thaw them. I love the nice volume they add to the fluffy, slow cooked baked eggs!
- Sautéing the bell peppers and onions rewards the overall dish with a layer of deep, caramelized flavors. Sure, you could just plot it all into the slow cooker, but I think this small extra step is totally worth it! 😋
- How to know when the casserole is done: when the eggs look set, around 7-9 hours on low. You can use a knife to check the middle to see if it’s done.
- Reheat the casserole in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through. (400°F for 15-20 minutes should do they trick!)
- Use different types of cheese if desired but be aware of moisture content. If you use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar, it’s best to make sure it’s low moisture so the casserole doesn’t get soggy.
- Add more seasonings if desired and saute different veggies (like mushrooms, spinach or broccoli).
- Make it spicy with a hit of red pepper chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
Yes! Cover well with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil and freeze for 2-3 months.
There are other meat options you can use: bacon, variations of sausage, shredded chicken, ground beef or left over turkey.
It will last for 3-4 days in your fridge.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1, 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 30 oz. shredded hash browns, frozen
- 1 lb. cooked ham, diced (or breakfast sausage)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onions and bell peppers and saute until vibrant, stirring occasionally. Add in garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir. Right before the veggies are cooked, stir in the green chiles then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk and mustard together. Set aside.
- Grease the bottom of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place half of all of the ingredients in the first layer: half of the bag of frozen hash browns, diced ham, onion/bell pepper mixture and then cheese.
- Repeat layers again with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over all of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9hours. Garnish with diced green onions, chives, hot sauce et.c before serving.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie