Quinoa Egg Breakfast Muffins are PACKED with protein and will keep you full all morning! Great for an on the go breakfast option or even if you want breakfast for dinner!
Some people may be “over” quinoa, but I still love cooking with it. Quinoa is a great source of fiber, protein and vitamins and will leave you satisfied.
I’m really in to combining quinoa and eggs together since it provides a one-two punch of that protein and fiber!
People often get stuck in such a rut for breakfast and I want to help you rethink what you’re eating during the AM hours. It doesn’t always have to be cereal or the same ol’ yogurt, fruit and granola combo.
Power pack your breakfast with quinoa egg muffins! I love prepping this on a Sunday to have for the week. I also love including in a veggie during breakfast. You can top these with avocado and enjoy with fruit to balance out the meal.
Quinoa has become one of the best known ancient grains. It is a complete protein (having all nine essential amino acids) and is rich in fiber, iron and phosphorus. It’s easy to find at local grocery stores and is easy to prepare. It takes just 20 minutes on the stove!
Why do I have to rinse quinoa?
Boxed quinoa does not have to be rinse prior to cooking because it is often pre-rinsed. However, it’s a good practice to get in the habit of because rinsing quinoa removes the natural coating which often makes the quinoa taste bitter or soapy.
How do you rinse quinoa? You can pour it into a fine mesh strainer or even place it in a colander lined with a coffee filter!
Is this gluten free?
Technically, quinoa is gluten free. However; the processing of the “grain” is often performed in facilities that also process other grain based foods. So basically, you cross contamination may occur. You can look for packages that state if their quinoa is made in a gluten free facility.
Quinoa Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 1 cup quinoa Yields ~3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese I use cheddar or white cheddar mostly
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Typically you rinse the quinoa, then place 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to simmer, turn heat down, put on a lid and let cook for 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the warm quinoa with the cheese to melt the cheese. Add the eggs , garlic, salt and spinach. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins (I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for this part so each muffin is the same size). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes...run a knife around the edges to loosen and pop out your quinoa egg muffins!
These Quinoa Egg Breakfast Muffins are:
- Easy to make
- Rich in protein and fiber
- Perfect for meal prep
- Delicious for breakfast or brunch