This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These almond flour chocolate chip muffins are a great treat any time of the day!
You can enjoy them first thing in the morning with your coffee or tea, as an afternoon snack warmed up and enjoyed with almond or peanut butter, or even as a treat in the evening with a little ice cream.
Whatever way you choose to enjoy it I know you’ll love this one!
Ingredients you’ll need for Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Ripe bananas: I chose to add sweetness with ultra ripe bananas, but you can also swap the bananas out for 1/3 cup honey, maple syrup or your favorite sweetened of choice.
- Almond flour: The key ingredient for this recipe! I prefer to use Bob’s Red Mill.
- Cake flour: Only 3/4 cup. Using cake flour adds a wonderful texture that you won’t want to skip out on. If you need a gluten free replacement, I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour.
- Eggs: Eggs are important in baking because they create structure and stability within a batters, they add moisture to the muffins (and most baked goods!)
- Milk: I use cow’s milk, but you can use almond milk or any milk you prefer – even coconut milk!
- Coconut oil: I enjoy baking with coconut oil because it makes the resulting product taste a bit lighter and you can taste that nice touch of coconut. Coconut oil can be substituted one for one with butter in most baked goods if it calls for it.
- Flaxseed: I love to add it for a nutritional punch!
- I love that these muffins are made with whole food, real ingredients and are still insanely moist and satisfying! I hope you feel the same way!
How to make almond flour chocolate chip muffins rise
After some research, I have found a great way to get a beautiful color on the outside of your muffins as they rise, and also cook the entire center.
Let me tell you the secret! Bake the muffins at 425° F for 8 minutes, and then lower the temperature down to 350° F for another 6 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Also the baking soda helps!
How long do these almond flour muffins last?
You can keep them in a zip lock baggie on your counter at room temperature for up to 5 days (if they last that long!) Or in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Are these muffins gluten free?
They can be! Almond flour is gluten free, but the addition 3/4 cup of cake flour is not. You can use a gluten free flour in place.
Can I make these muffins vegan/paleo?
- To make vegan, you will need to use almond milk or another non-dairy milk and then also use an egg replacer.
- I haven’t tried using an egg replacer in this almond flour chocolate chip muffin recipe but a chia or flax egg can work, just know it may not rise as much. Also be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips! This recipe is paleo friendly since almond flour is lower in carbohydrates than other flours.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour*
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large bananas, ripe, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 12 count cupcake tin with liners or spray with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flours, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, milk, coconut oil and vanilla until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet and then gently mix in the chocolate chips. Divide batter into cupcake liners and top with additional chocolate chips if you'd like!
- Bake for 8 minutes at 425°F. Then lower the oven temp down to 350°F and bake for another 6 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5, then enjoy!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.