Feeling like the official muffin Queen over here posting a new muffin recipe each week!
It’s the time of year again where you are probably up to your ears in zucchini if you have a garden! Using zucchini the same way over time can get a little boring so I want to show you some ways to use them besides zucchini salads or zoodles!
Table of contents
These veggie filled muffins are great for snack time, with your coffee during breakfast or to pack away in school lunches. Plus, these muffins freeze well so don’t hesitate to make a double batch!
What You’ll Need for Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- Coconut, shredded & unsweetened
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Spices: ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Canola oil or coconut oil
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375° F. and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper-liners.
- Shred the zucchini and the carrot using the side of a box/cheese grater or pulse in the food processor.
- Zucchini has a lot of excess water you’ll need to squeeze out using a nut milk bag or thin dish towel. (I’ve even used paper towels before to squeeze the water out!).
- Place the shredded veggies in a bowl and set aside. In a medium sized bowl mix together the coconut, flour, sugars, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla into the flour mixture and then fold in the carrot and zucchini. Gently mix just until combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin tin with the batter until two-thirds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 and then enjoy.
Yes! Zucchini Carrot Muffins are freezer friendly muffins! I recommend letting them cool completely and then freezing in a freezer bag. When you are ready to enjoy a muffin, pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm them up, or remove and let them defrost in the fridge overnight.
Since you may have an abundance of zucchini, you may want to shred your zucchini to have when you want to make these muffins again! Yes – you can do this. When you remove the shredded frozen zucchini from the freezer, sure to do let it thaw and then drain it very well. You’ll want to remove as much moisture as possible and always add the zucchini in last to the muffin batter!
Zucchini is 95% water so we need to release some of that prior to baking! The accumulated water will make a big difference in these muffins.
– I know it’s not a common kitchen tool, but using a potato ricer is one way to do it!
– I use this method: Use a nut milk bag and squeeze out the moisture.
– Use a thin dish towel, place zucchini in the middle and wring out the water!
Tips and Tricks for making the best Zucchini Carrot Muffins:
- Most importantly: squeeze out all excess moisture from the zucchini prior to folding into the batter. If you forget this step, the muffins will not be very yummy!
- Customize it – add in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or walnuts, pecans, or even pepitas!
- Freeze em’ and thaw for lunches or a quick snack.
- Add in golden raisins, cranberries or chopped dates for a boost of fiber and potassium!
- Don’t want to use granulated or brown sugar? You can use a ripe banana, honey or maple syrup as replacements. I’ve never made it this way for this particular recipe but those are all other sources of sugar!
- Don’t over stir, and add the zucchini and carrots in last!
- Use an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the muffin tin.
These Zucchini Carrot muffins …
- Are a wholesome choice for you…or your toddler!
- Rich in fiber from the white whole wheat flour
- Packed with Vitamin K, Vitamin C and minerals such as potassium.
- Use applesauce to cut down on the oil added in the recipe
- Can also be made with chocolate chips!
Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups Carrot, shredded (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded (3-4 small)
- 1/2 cup Coconut, shredded and unsweetened
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375° F. and spray a muffin tin with non-stick baking spray or line with paper-liners. Shred the zucchini and the carrot using the side of a box/cheese grater or pulse in the food processor. Zucchini has a lot of excess water you’ll need to squeeze out using a nut milk bag or thin dish towel. (I’ve even used paper towels before to squeeze the water out!).
- Place the shredded veggies in a bowl and set aside. In a medium sized bowl mix together the coconut, flour, sugars, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla into the flour mixture and then fold in the carrot and zucchini. Gently mix just until combined.Fill the prepared muffin tin with the batter until two-thirds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 and then enjoy.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie