This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana Nutella Muffins infused with coffee flavors and lots of swirly Nutella goodness. You just can’t resist these babies!
A few years ago I was making muffins almost weekly. It was an obsession! I made dozens and dozens and I have a nice index of muffins on my site but also ended up making a Muffin Ebook you can download for free too!
But these Banana Nutella Muffins are what my dreams are actually made of. Spiked with coffee, sweetened perfectly with bananas, and Nutella packed in the center and twirled on the tops too. OHHHH MYYY GOSHHH! 😍
Why you’ll love these Banana Nutella Muffins
- First off, Nutella. Enough said!
- Coffee extract and espresso powder are both used to maximize the yummy coffee flavor.
- Over ripe bananas helps to cut back a little bit on the added sugar.
- The flaxseed is great for a nutritional boost of fiber and omegas.
- No stand mixer required! Just 2 bowls for mixing!
What is Nutella?
Nutella is a sweetened hazelnut spread with an ultra creamy consistency that tastes amazing on just about everything! Nutella was actually invented by a man by the name of Pietro Ferrero in 1946.
He was a pastry maker in Italy and created this addicting paste from hazelnuts, sugar and just a little cocoa. Nutella was called “SuperCrema” before given its “Nutella” name by Pietro’s son. In 1965 the iconic logo and jar was made, and ever since then everyone has been obsessed with it! Amiright?!
Ingredients You’ll Need
These Nutella filled muffins only require a few pantry staple ingredients which makes for the simplest and most delicious Banana Nutella Muffins around.
The oozing hazelnut center paired with the subtle notes of coffee and banana flavors in each bite is literally heaven!
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour but you can also use a a gluten free 1-1 flour if needed, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten free flour.
- Over-ripe Bananas: using over-ripe bananas with plenty of spots add the perfect banana sweetness and compliment the Nutella and coffee flavors wonderfully.
- Nutella: adding the Nutella not only on the tops but in the center takes these Banana Nutella Muffins from just good to outrageously delicious!
- Coffee: regular brewed coffee that’s been cooled. No need for it to be espresso or anything specific, just a regular cup of joe!
- Espresso powder: It’s like a bakers secret weapon! Espresso powder enhances and intensifies the Nutella flavor in these cookies.
- Ground Flaxseed: I always like to sneak in some nutritional boosters into muffins, even though this is more of a dessert style muffin. You can totally omit if preferred!
- Other ingredients needed: baking soda, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, eggs, sugar
Step by Step Directions
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mashed bananas and sugars then add in remaining wet ingredients.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Scoop the muffin batter into prepared cupcake tin and fill halfway.
- Add about a teaspoon or two of Nutella in the middle. The scoop more batter on top. Add another dollop of Nutella and use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella. Repeat with remaining muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Soggy muffins: this can happen when muffins are left in the pan for too long after removing from the oven. Allow them to cool slightly and then transfer onto wire rack.
- Dry muffins: can be due to an over mixed batter or too much flour. Be sure to use a dry measuring cup when measuring out flour, and don’t pack it in! It also can be the result of overcooked muffins.
- Muffins didn’t rise: check to make sure baking powder and baking soda are not expired. Also, avoid opening the oven door as heat is loss and muffins can sink.
- Add ins sunk to the bottom (fruit, nuts, chocolate): to prevent ingredients from sinking to the bottom, toss them in a bowl with flour to lightly coat them before folding them into the batter.
How can I make your muffins vegan or gluten-free?
It can be challenging to take non-vegan recipes and make vegan, or gluten-full recipes made gluten free. As of now, I have not made my recipe to be that way. There is a Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1- Baking Flour you can try that works well for most recipes.
How ripe do bananas have to be for muffins?
I always say to look for the the over ripe bananas covered in spots. These ones have the best sweetness and strong banana flavor great for baking.
Are muffins better with butter or oil?
These muffins are made with oil but I have made some with butter too. It comes down to preferences. Muffins made with oil are more cake like and stay moist.
More Muffin Recipes To Try:
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar (I use 1/2 brown, and 1/2 granulated white)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly brewed black coffee
- 2 tsp. coffee extract
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a 12 count cupcake tin with liners or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, espresso powder, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together bananas and sugar. Then whisk in the oil, eggs, brewed coffee and coffee extract. Then gradually mix in the flour into the wet mixture. Dough will be thick.
- Fill each muffin tin about half way. Place ~1-2tsp. of Nutella in the middle and then top the muffin with more muffin batter. Dollop a little more Nutella on the top and swirl with a toothpick or butter knife.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
- If you’d like to make jumbo muffins in a 6 count tin, add a few more minutes to the baking time.
- If you don’t have coffee extract, replace with vanilla extract.
- Fill the muffins ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP for these muffins to create a gorgeous dome on the muffin tops. If you are’t filling them with enough batter you might get more than 12 muffins.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.