These Nutella Coffee Muffins are jumbo size and soo yummy with the coffee and hazelnut flavor combination from the Nutella. They are the ULTIMATE Nutella Muffins because they are perfectly flavored, moist and are just so much better than store bought!
The combination of chocolate and hazelnuts made into a spread was a genius idea. This exact thought sent me on a 20 minute detour to find out more information about Nutella!
Nutella was actually invented by a man by the name of Pietro Ferrero in 1946. He was a pastry maker in Italy and created this addicting paste from hazelnuts, sugar and just a little cocoa. Nutella was called “SuperCrema” before given its “Nutella” name by Pietro’s son. In 1965 the iconic logo and jar was made, and ever since then everyone has been obsessed with it! Amiright?!
Nutella was Europe’s sweeter counterpart to peanut butter and remained largely out of the American diet until 1983. However, I personally feel like Nutella did not gain popularity until rather recently, perhaps 10 years ago it started to really gain traction. And I’m not mad about it! I mean, look at these Nutella swirls on top of these muffins!
While I have never been a huge fan of spreading it on toast like the breakfast commercials used to say, I do love to bake with it!
These rich and Nutella filled muffins only require a few pantry staple ingredients which makes for the simplest and most delicious Nutella Coffee Muffins around. The oozing hazelnut center paired with the subtle notes of coffee and banana flavors in each bite is literally heaven!These Nutella Coffee muffins are moist and tender with an oozing Nutella center…the ULTIMATE Muffin recipe! #muffinmonday #krollskorner Click To Tweet
How my Nutella Coffee Muffins are different:
- I use coffee extract and coffee grounds in these muffins!
- I use ripe bananas to cut back a little bit on granulated sugars.
- I love to add in flaxseed for a nutritional boost of fiber and omegas.
- No stand mixer required! Just 2 bowls for mixing
The Difference between a cupcake and a muffin:
Cupcakes are frosted and muffins… are not! No matter what goes into your muffin, I’m pretty sure you can label it a muffin as long as you don’t frost it. And muffins sound healthier than cupcakes so you can totally eat them for breakfast. Who’s with me?!
Tawnie’s Travel update:
In other news, we are leaving for New York Wednesday!! We are so thrilled to be taking a trip as an engaged couple and cannot wait to see what NYC has to offer. We will be spending part of the trip at my Aunts, and another part in the city. Be sure to follow along on my Instagram to see everything we are up to!
As always, I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please be sure to tag @krolls_korner on social media so I can see your beautiful creations!
The Ultimate Nutella Coffee Muffins
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup coffee grounds
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed or 3 small
- 1 cup sugar (I do 1/2 brown, and 1/2 granulated white)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. coffee extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large muffins tin with liners or spray with PAM.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, coffee, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together bananas with the sugar. Then whisk in the oil, eggs and extract. Then gradually mix in the flour into the wet mixture. Dough will be thick.
- Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 of the way up. Then top with Nutella and use a toothpick to create swirls on top of the muffin. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean!