This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Roasted and smashed baby potatoes are salty, baked until crispy and golden-brown and I guarantee you’re going to fall in love with them!
Smashed baby potatoes are not to be confused with mashed potatoes. Smashed potatoes are boiled, flattened with the bottom of a glass, drizzled with olive oil and seasonings and baked.
They are little heavenly, delicious jewels and are delicious dunked in the jalapeño aioli. If you’re not a fan of aioli you can dunk them in ketchup or even sour cream.
- Baby potatoes: 1 lb. is about 15-20 potatoes depending on size.
- Olive oil: to drizzle on the baking sheet and on the potatoes
- Jalapeño: you can omit if you don’t prefer a spicy aioli
- Mayonnaise: use a vegan mayo if needed
- Lime juice (or lemon works too!)
What kind of potatoes do you need?
- Yukon Gold
- Red Potatoes
- Baby Carisma
- Potato Medley
How long do baby potatoes take to cook?
- You need to boil them for 15 minutes first (or until tender with a fork)
- Then an additional 20 minutes in the oven
- 35 minute easy side dish!
What do you smash them with?
- A fork
- Bottom of a mason jar or flat bottomed cup
- Potato masher
How do you make the aioli?
It’s so simple and only 5 ingredients! In a food processor you process the Jalapeño, garlic, mayo, lime juice, and cilantro until well blended.
Looking for other delicious potato recipes?
- I have a great weeknight dinner recipe you’ll have to add into your meal prep this week. These Sloppy Joe Baked Potatoes were a family favorite growing up and they are still a go to option till this day!
- One of my favorite appetizers to bring to a friends house or party are these Sweet Potato Sliders with Homemade Guacamole. Healthy, simple, delicious, and EASY!
- Speaking of sweet potatoes…this Avocado & Ground Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potato is the recipe I make when I don’t know what I want to eat when I am really hungry, but want something healthy, and I know it won’t take long!
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 1 lb. baby potatoes (~15-20 small Yukon and/or red potatoes)
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the Aioli
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (or lemon juice)
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in 2 tsp. salt. Cook potatoes until soft and fork tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on size. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, make the aioli. In a food processor, process all ingredients together until smooth. Place in a bowl and set in fridge until potatoes are done.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Spread 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil on a baking sheet. Then set the potatoes on the baking sheet, about 2-3 inches apart.
- Smash potatoes down with a large fork or bottom of flat bottomed cup/mason jar. Try to keep the potatoes in one piece. Let cool again for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle seasonings on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve hot with the aioli or other sauce of choice. Garnish with cilantro if desired.