Roasted and smashed baby potatoes are salty, baked until crispy and golden-brown and I guarantee you’re going to fall in love with them!
Table of contents
Smashed baby potatoes are not to be confused with mashed potatoes. Smashed potatoes are boiled, flattened with the bottom of a glass, drizzled with olive oil and seasonings and baked.
They are little heavenly, delicious jewels and are delicious dunked in the jalapeño aioli. If you’re not a fan of aioli you can dunk them in ketchup or even sour cream.
- Baby potatoes: 1 lb. is about 15-20 potatoes depending on size.
- Olive oil: to drizzle on the baking sheet and on the potatoes
- Jalapeño: you can omit if you don’t prefer a spicy aioli
- Mayonnaise: use a vegan mayo if needed
- Lime juice (or lemon works too!)
What kind of potatoes do you need?
- Yukon Gold
- Red Potatoes
- Baby Carisma
- Potato Medley
How long do baby potatoes take to cook?
- You need to boil them for 15 minutes first (or until tender with a fork)
- Then an additional 20 minutes in the oven
- 35 minute easy side dish!
What do you smash them with?
- A fork
- Bottom of a mason jar or flat bottomed cup
- Potato masher
How do you make the aioli?
It’s so simple and only 5 ingredients! In a food processor you process the Jalapeño, garlic, mayo, lime juice, and cilantro until well blended.
Looking for other delicious potato recipes?
- I have a great weeknight dinner recipe you’ll have to add into your meal prep this week. These Sloppy Joe Baked Potatoes were a family favorite growing up and they are still a go to option till this day!
- One of my favorite appetizers to bring to a friends house or party are these Sweet Potato Sliders with Homemade Guacamole. Healthy, simple, delicious, and EASY!
- Speaking of sweet potatoes…this Avocado & Ground Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potato is the recipe I make when I don’t know what I want to eat when I am really hungry, but want something healthy, and I know it won’t take long!
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Smashed Potatoes with Jalapeño Garlic Aioli
- 1 lb. baby potatoes (~15-20 small Yukon and/or red potatoes)
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the Aioli
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (or lemon juice)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in 2 tsp. salt. Cook potatoes until soft and fork tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on size. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, make the aioli. In a food processor, process all ingredients together until smooth. Place in a bowl and set in fridge until potatoes are done.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Spread 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil on a baking sheet. Then set the potatoes on the baking sheet, about 2-3 inches apart.
- Smash potatoes down with a large fork or bottom of flat bottomed cup/mason jar. Try to keep the potatoes in one piece. Let cool again for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle seasonings on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve hot with the aioli or other sauce of choice. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie