30 min meal with less than 10 ingredients – Sloppy Joe Baked Potato for the win!
Since it is the weekend leading up to the Fourth of July, I wanted to make a BBQ-ish meal for you guys! This Sloppy Joe Baked Potato was a go-to growing up in my parents house! (Mainly because, like most go-to meals, it is super tasty and easy to make!)
With this recipe, I wanted to incorporate more veggies in to make the meal a little more balanced. I used the zucchini and I sliced it julienne style – or you can use a cheese grated and grate then – and mixed in with the ground turkey mixture. You may think mixing zucchini in with BBQ sauce sounds weird – but it is in fact really delish!
The protein source in this meal is ground turkey. You can use ground chicken or beef too if you have that. All preference! My only tip: drain excess fat after it has been cooked!
[Tweet “30 min meal with less than 10 ingredients – Sloppy Joe Baked Potato for the win! krollskorner.com #krollskorner #easy #yum #easydinner #weeknightmeal”]
Talk about a hearty meal! Potatoes get a bad rap and are underrated most of the time. However, they contain many nutrients that should not be forgotten! Potatoes are packed with calcium, vitamin C, fiber, iron, potassium and much more. Potatoes are a great staple food and an easy way to include a vegetable in your diet – just be mindful of portion sizes! 🙂 I found some small/medium sized ones at Walmart for this recipe. Yep, I am human and shop at Walmart from time to time too!
Sloppy Joe Baked Potato
- 3-5 potatoes - depending on how many you are feeding
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups Ketchup
- 1 14 oz. bag tri color coleslaw
- 1 zucchini julienned
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 green onions, cherry tomatoes, & parsley for garnish cherry tomatoes, and parsley for garnish
- pinch pepper - to taste
- Wash and wrap potatoes in paper towels. Heat in microwave for 8-10 minutes or until done. (Should be able to poke with a fork all the way through!)
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, sauté the red onion with olive oil for a 2-3 minutes and then add in the ground turkey. Cook meat and season with chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, and then add the BBQ sauce and ketchup. Then stir in the coleslaw and zucchini and incorporate evenly. You may need to add in additional sauce or some water to get the sauce to a consistency you like!
- Let meat mixture simmer while your potatoes are finishing up in the microwave. Once done, cut potato lengthwise and top with ground turkey mixture. Top with tomatoes, green onion and parsley! Enjoy!