Sloppy Joe Baked Potato
American | Published Mar 10, 2022 | Updated Mar 10, 2022 | By Tawnie
Growing up, this Sloppy Joe Baked Potato recipe was a weeknight favorite. And it still is!
Now as a busy working mom, I understand why my mom loved to make it. It’s ridiculously easy to make, made with a sloppy joe meat sauce that utilizes pantry staples and if you’re in a pinch you can even cook the potatoes in the microwave on a microwave safe plate (as opposed to the oven!).
I bulked up the sloppy joe sauce with julienned zucchini and lots of tri-color coleslaw. You might think mixing zucchini in with BBQ sauce sounds weird… but trust me, it is really delicious!
Table of contents
This meal is…
- full of flavor
- comes together quickly
- very filling
- and makes the most delicious leftover!
We always have Russet potatoes in our house. We love em’ in this Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup and in these Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes! Potatoes are packed with calcium, vitamin C, fiber, iron, potassium and much more and are just down right delicious and comforting!
Ingredients you need:
- Russet Potatoes: Look for medium-large Russet potatoes. Potatoes low moisture and high starch content make them very ideal for baking!
- Onions: A yellow or white onion works well here.
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder and a little salt and pepper. Feel free to add any additional seasonings you prefer!
- Ketchup and BBQ sauce: Some recipes use sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, mustard, etc. but we love the bbq sauce and ketchup combination. Use your favorite brands!
- Zucchini: I love the addition of some fresh veg. in the sloppy joe mixture!
- Tri-Color coleslaw: Adds a nice texture and makes the meat filling more interesting and just so yum.
- Ground turkey: A 1 lb. package is all you’ll need!
Step by Step Directions:
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until fork tender.
- Saute the onions and cook the ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Add in the seasonings, ketchup, BBQ sauce, slaw and zucchini.
- Simmer for a few minutes then spoon sloppy joe mixture onto baked potatoes.
- Garnish with green onions, cheese, sour cream, etc.
- Add a touch of Dijon mustard if the sauce seems too sweet.
- Swap ground beef or ground chicken out for the ground turkey if desired.
- Meal prep for the week! Make the baked potatoes and mixture in advance for an easy, flavorful meal.
- Add in different veggies: broccoli, spinach, kale, etc.
- Add a spicy kick with chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
shop this post
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Sloppy Joe Baked Potato
- 3-5 Russet potatoes – depending on how many you are feeding
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 7 oz. tri color coleslaw (about 2 cups)
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- garnish ideas: green onions, cherry tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, parsley, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash and dry the potatoes. Use a fork to poke a few holes around the potatoes. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet, rub with olive oil and a generous amount of kosher salt. Bake for 40-60 minutes or until fork-tender. (The time varies based on the size of potatoes).
- Heat remaining olive oil in a deep saute pan. Add the onion and sauté for ~3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Season onions with salt and pepper. Then add in the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add the chili powder and garlic powder, stir to combine. Then add the BBQ sauce and ketchup, stir well. Lastly add in the coleslaw and zucchini and mix well. If sauce seems too thick, add a bit of water to get the sauce to a consistency you like!
- Bring to a gentle simmer while the potatoes finish cooking. Once done, cut potatoes lengthwise and stuff with the sloppy joe mixture. Garnish with tomatoes, green onions, cheese, sour cream, etc. Enjoy!
- Store sloppy joe mixture in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Make baked potatoes in advance to speed up the cook time when you’re ready to eat!
- Add different veggies (chopped broccoli, spinach, etc.)
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
I was so anxious to try this sloppy potatoes,I couldn’t wait for the weekend, it was awesome, topped it with some cheddar cheese, thanks tawnie????✌????????,Robert from Clovis
This looks so delicious! I am definitely making this one!
Thank you so much Erin!
Great photos! I just love the styling!
Thank you Amy!!
Love this idea — I “stuff” spaghetti squash so much, I forget about the potato! 🙂
I need to get back on my spaghetti squash game! Thank you!
This is such a fun and creative meal! I am currently loving stuffed potato anything. These look perfect for a barbecue 🙂
Yes, agreed! Thank you so much!
Love this spin on sloppy joes! I have a special place in my heart for potatoes lol.
Thanks so much Rebecca! haha they are certainly a staple food in my house!! <3
A sloppy Joe baked potato… what an EXCELLENT idea! I bet this would be fantastic on a sweet potato too! YUM-O!
I’ll have to try that next! Thank you!
LOVE stuffed baked potatoes! Have to add this to my collection next to my cheeseburger stuffed potato. YUM!
DO it! Thank you 🙂 Hope you love it!
One fantastic easy dinner!
Thank you so much!
I’m pretty sure we are always on the same brain wave-length when it comes to recipe creation! I love baked potatoes with healthy meaty toppings!! Pinning to save as a reminder 🙂
Haha I love it!! Yay thank you Katie:) hope you had a nice weekend !