Steak Cobb Salad is packed with protein, leafy greens, nutrients and so much flavor! Try it with my favorite avocado dressing made with FAGE Greek Yogurt!
Steak Cobb Salads are the best, right?
In my house we eat a lot of salads: chicken salads, vegetarian salads, and quinoa salads to name a few. But sometimes switching things up with flank steak in our salad is just what our bodies are craving!
This post has been sponsored by FAGE. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Kroll’s Korner running!
This salad can be made for an easy weeknight dinner or to meal prep for lunches. If you prep in advance, be sure to keep the dressing on the side so the lettuce doesn’t wilt.
What is Cobb Salad?
Cobb Salad is usually served as a main dish, due to it’s plethora of ingredients which should include boiled, roasted or grilled chicken or steak, crisp bacon, hard-boiled egg, avocado, Roquefort cheese, tomatoes and crisp salad greens (technically, iceberg and romaine lettuce, watercress and endives).
In my version I left out the bacon, but it’s of course totally delicious with it! You can always opt for turkey bacon as well.
What you’ll need for this easy meal prep salad:
- Flank steak
- Salt & pepper
- Leafy greens
- Blue cheese
- Pine Nuts
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- (Bacon is optional, I didn’t use in mine!)
What you’ll need for the Avocado dressing:
- FAGE Total Greek Yogurt
- Cilantro (or parsley)
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Splash of water
How to cook flank steak in a cast iron skillet:
- Pat the trimmed steak completely dry with paper towels and then let it rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes (this will prevent your pan from losing heat quickly and from “shocking” the meat).
- Generously season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper – I love using Maldon salt!
- Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully place the flank steak in the pan and sear it for 4-5 minutes on one side, until the bottom is browned–do not move the steak at all.
- Flip the steak, reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. Hold the pan handle with one hand (use a towel, as it will be hot) and tilt the pan slightly, use your other hand to spoon the melted, bubbling butter mixture over the steak repeatedly until it is cooked to medium-rare (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and cut into cubes or slices for your salad.
How to make avocado dressing:
In a food processor, you’ll process the FAGE Total Greek yogurt with an avocado, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice . Mix until fully blended. Add water by the tablespoon to get it to the consistency you like (it should be pourable). Season with salt and pepper and pour on steak cobb.
How FAGE Greek Yogurt is a fridge staple and part of my everyday routine:
- I always have FAGE Total stocked in my fridge! I use it for easy yogurt parfaits while I am on the go, for baking my chicken or to make healthy and delicious salad dressings like this.
- I also have 4 other fun recipes and ways to use Greek yogurt on my blog here!
- Many of you know I workout often and refueling properly is important to me. Eating protein-rich foods like FAGE Total Greek Yogurt and this Steak Cobb salad is an important part of staying in shape for me.
This Steak Cobb Salad is:
- Perfect for meal prep
- An easy and healthy weeknight dinner
- High in protein
- Satisfying and nutritious
- Made with a homemade dressing
What are some ways you love to eat and enjoy FAGE? I’d love to know!
Steak Cobb Salad with Avocado Dressing
Steak Cobb Salads are downright delicious and this version is livened up with an Avocado Greek Yogurt dressing!
For the steak:
- 1.5 lb. flank steak
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
For the Avocado Dressing:
- 5.3 oz. FAGE total Greek Yogurt
- 1 small avocado
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz. bleu cheese crumbles
- 8-10 cups leafy greens or romaine
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 eggs hard boiled, halved
Cook the flank steak in a cast iron skillet. Start by heating the olive oil in a cast iron for 1 minute. Generously season the steak with salt and pepper and place in heated pan. Sear it for 4-5 minutes on one side, until the bottom is browned–do not move the steak at all.
Flip the steak, reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. Hold the pan handle with one hand (use a towel, as it will be hot) and tilt the pan slightly, use your other hand to spoon the melted, bubbling butter mixture over the steak repeatedly until it is cooked to medium-rare (about 10 minutes).
Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and cut into cubes or slices for your salad.
Chop the tomatoes, onions and make the hard boiled eggs. Mise en place all of your other salad ingredients: blue cheese, leafy greens and pine nuts. Make the dressing by placing all ingredients in the food processor and add water by the tablespoon to get it to the consistency you like (it should be pourable). Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble your salad with all of the fixings and cubed steak and pour dressing on last. Enjoy!