Taco Skillet was one of my mom’s go to dinner recipes when we were growing up in the house. Now, it’s turned into a staple here in my house!
Reasons why it’s such a keeper recipe:
- Easy to make
- Everyone always loves it
- You can have most ingredients already stocked and in your pantry.
- It’s a balanced meal along with a salad or grilled veggie.
- It’s satisfying!
- This cheesy taco skillet bake is make with ground turkey, easily made low carb by skipping out on the tortillas, and all made in one pan!
Ingredients you need to make Taco Skillet
- Lean ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Southwest salsa hot – or salsa of choice
- White onion
- Fresh garlic
- Low sodium kidney beans
- Low sodium tomato soup
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
How to make Taco Skillet
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey with olive oil, diced onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink. Drain out any liquid leftover in the pan.
- Add in the taco seasoning, salsa, tomato soup, and kidney beans. Mix together and bring to a boil, then let it simmer down for about 5-10 minutes.
- Right before serving mix in tortilla strips and top with cheese. Enjoy!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mix the following ingredients together in place of a taco seasoning packet if you prefer to make homemade taco seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper
Different beans (besides the kidney beans) you can add to this meal:
- Black beans
- Pinto Beans
- Black Eyed Pea
- Navy beans
I love this meal not only because it is quick but it is budget friendly as well.
Cutting the flour tortilla strips up into the meal is recommended, but if you’d like to control the amount of tortilla you are consuming, skip this step and eat the tortilla on the side! 🙂
Mom’s One Pan Taco Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups southwest salsa hot – or salsa of choice
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 5-10 Tortillas
- 1, 15oz. can low sodium kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1, 10 3/4 oz. can low sodium tomato soup
- 1, 1 oz (28g) packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese for garnish
- In a large non stick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey with olive oil, diced onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink. Drain out any liquid leftover in the pan.
- Add in the taco seasoning, salsa, tomato soup, and kidney beans. Mix together and bring to a boil, then let it simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes.
- Right before serving, mix in sliced tortilla strips (or serve with tortillas on the side) and top with cheese. Enjoy!
- For a spicy kick, add in jalapeños or Sriracha!
- *Can sub black beans for kidney beans.
- Leave tortillas on the side if you plan on enjoying leftovers the next day.
- Can enjoy as a dip with tortilla chips too!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie