Mom’s Taco Skillet is one of the easiest weeknight meals and a dinner everyone is sure to love!
*I originally posted this recipe in Aug. 2015, but I retook the photos July 2017!*
The Recipe Redux for this month is Back to the Dinner Table and I wanted to share my mom’s taco skillet recipe. I know this was always a favorite in our household, and such an easy go-to recipe that everyone loved.
In my opinion, it’s super easy to over eat skillet meals. My mom would cut the tortillas in strips and mix them in with the meat/kidney bean mixture – like shown in my pictures. If you make this and plan to have leftovers…the tortillas might get soggy. So instead of mixing the tortilla pieces in, leave them on the side. This is also a bonus because now you are in control of how much tortilla you are actually consuming. All about that mindful eating! With that said…I hope you and your family can enjoy this meal as much as my family does.
PIN this recipe for later!
Good morning and happy video Monday! 🙌🏼⭐️ Last week I mentioned posting 2 videos a week and I may have been a bit too eager with that goal…so for now, you can bet on recipe video Monday's for sure! 🤗 I hope you enjoy this easy weeknight recipe! #Taco #krollskorner #easy #dinner #foodie •• https://krollskorner.com/recipes/moms-taco-skillet/ •• 👍🏼
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups southwest salsa, hot - or salsa of choice
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 5-10 tortillas
- 1 can low sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can low sodium tomato soup
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- shredded cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey with olive oil, diced onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink. Drain out any liquid leftover in the pan.
- Add in the taco seasoning, salsa, tomato soup, and kidney beans. Mix together and bring to a boil, then let it simmer down for about 5-10 minutes.
- Right before serving mix in tortilla strips and top with cheese. Enjoy! 🙂
- For a spicy kick, add in jalapenos or Sriracha!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @krolls_korner on Instagram or send me a pic, I’d love to see!
- Looking for easy and healthy recipes? Head over to my Pinterest page to get inspired!
- You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook – follow along for nutrition info and more recipes.