This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I did a thing and made Spicy Shrimp Tacos with the most amazing mango salsa. These tacos have a serious hold on me, I can’t get enough!
This recipe is not only a quick and easy meal to make, but healthy and delicious too!
With all the colorful ingredients that can diversify your gut health, you also have your omega-3s (from shrimp) and some fiber (from cabbage) packed into one beautiful dish.
All you have to do is gather and chop all the ingredients for the shrimp seasoning and mango salsa and then sauté the shrimp.
You can set up a taco bar and create a variety of toppings to sprinkle over your tacos once they are done.
I like to keep mine simple with cabbage, the shrimp, mango salsa and a drizzle of our favorite taco sauce (recipe below).
Here’s the gang:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined: Shrimp cooks pretty quickly. Signs to tell that the shrimps are fully cooked are when they turn pink and the tails curled towards the head.
- You can purchase fresh or frozen shrimp. Run cold water over frozen shrimp in a colander to thaw.
Buy the medium shrimp for shrimp tacos. They are the perfect size! Either a 31-40 or 41-50 count. I like to purchase the shell off variety for ease.
- Shrimp seasoning: You will need paprika, chipotle powder, garlic and onion powder, oregano.
- Shredded cabbage: Red, green, or both! Gives the crunch and color to the dish.
- Mango Salsa: Mango, tomato, avocado, fresh cilantro and of course, the chipotle powder to spice it up!
- Tortillas: Corn or flour. Both work, it comes down to preference. Also, you can choose whatever size you prefer. We love the street tacos! Heat them up over the stove prior to building your tacos.
Our Favorite Taco Sauce:
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Lime Juice
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Shrimp tacos are super easy to make and easily customizable too.
- Pat dry the shrimp gently on both sides and toss it in the bowl with the shrimp seasoning. Mix it well enough where the seasoning coats all sides of the shrimp. Set aside.
- Place all of the mango salsa ingredients in one bowl and mix.
- Whisk together the taco sauce ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add shrimp in a single layer and sauté each side for 2 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and curled into almost an “O” shape.
- Transfer shrimp and cabbage to the tortilla and place the salsa and taco sauce on top. Enjoy!
Spicy Shrimp Taco Toppings
The toppings for tacos are customizable and you can add just about anything! Here are some of our favorite taco toppings:
- Chopped jalapeños
- Sour cream
- Sliced olives
- Creamy avocado
- Hot sauce
Tips for making these tacos
- Add a slice of butter instead of olive oil when cooking the shrimp and sauté them until they slightly brown on each side. The aroma and taste is amazing.
- You can grill flour tortillas by adding a teaspoon of olive oil on the pan over medium heat and grill each side for about 30 seconds. For corn tortillas I usually don’t add any oil.
- Shrimp cooks very quickly, so be sure to keep on eye on them when cooking. Over cooked shrimp is not tasty!
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 1 lb. medium size shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined ((31-40 or 41-50 size))
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- pinch of salt
Mango Salsa Ingredients
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (juice from 1/2 lime)
- pinch chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For the tacos
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (purple or green)
- Tortillas (corn or flour)
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Gently pat the shrimp dry using paper towels on both sides and toss it in the bowl with the olive oil and seasonings. Mix well so the seasoning coats all sides of the shrimp. Set aside.
- Place all of the salsa ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix. (Add a jalapeño for extra spice!)
- Whisk the ingredients for the taco sauce in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the shrimp in a single layer and sauté each side for ~2 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and curled into almost an “O” shape.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Assemble the tacos: tortilla of choice, shredded cabbage, shrimp on top, mango salsa and a drizzle of the taco sauce. Finish with a squeeze of lime and any other taco toppings you prefer! (Heat tortillas over the stove prior to building your tacos).
- Feel free to top your tacos with cheese, hot sauce, guacamole, sour cream, chopped cilantro, slaw, scallions, avocado, etc. It’s fun to dress em’ up!
- If you don’t like mangos, sub with your favorite salsa.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.