Celebrate National Lasagna Day July 29th, 2017 with these Cheesy Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups!
It’s a tradition in my family to have homemade lasagna and pizza on Christmas Eve. Other than enjoying lasagna that night of the year, I cannot think of too many other times I enjoy a good piece of lasagna! What is up with that? I guess I needed a National food holiday to get me in the spirit to make these roll ups!
I made this recipe back in December 2014 and totally forgot it was even on my blog. It’s too good not to make, and totally comforting. I mean cmon…Parmesan, Asiago cheese, Romano, AND mozzarella?! Doesn’t get much better than that.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 10 oz mozzarella, shredded, divided up to save some for topping (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Romano, shredded
- 1/2 cup oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- For the marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for ~1 minutes. Then add chopped onion and sauté until tender about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil, oregano, red pepper chili flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove from burner, cover with lid and set aside.
- For the pasta: Prepare pasta according to directions listed on package, then drain and once noodles are cool enough to handle, align on parchment or wax paper, side by side. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the cheese filling: While pasta is boiling, drain the steamed frozen spinach in paper towels, pressing out some of the excess moisture. In a mixing bowl stir together, spinach, ricotta, egg, parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, asiago, Parmesan and Romano cheese. (Make sure to save leftover mozzarella for the topping!)
- To assemble lasagna roll ups: Spread 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture evenly along length of the noodles (You can just use your hands, it's easier). Roll noodles up jelly roll style to opposite end. Pour about 1 cup of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place lasagna roll ups in baking dish then cover tops with remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes, until cooked through.
- Recipe inspired from Gal on a mission
- My frozen spinach needed to be heated in the microwave first, then I removed excess water with paper towels.
Tomorrow is #NationalLasagnaDay and I posted a new recipe just in time! 🤗 (Like we really need an excuse to eat lasagna 😉) These roll ups are fun to make and are sooo tasty! Hope you all have a wonderful Friday!! #Friday #lasagna #krollskorner #linkinprofile 🌟 ••https://krollskorner.com/recipes/dinner/cheesy-spinach-lasagna-roll-ups-2/ •• 🌟
Did you make this recipe? Tag @krolls_korner on Instagram or send me a pic, I’d love to see!
- Looking for easy and healthy recipes? Head over to my Pinterest page to get inspired!
- You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook – follow along for nutrition info and more recipes.