This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Ground Turkey Dinner recipe puts a fun twist on a traditional baked potato with sloppy joe mix.
I love how colorful this meal is and how it is loaded with healthy fats, low in sodium, and high in protein
This is one of my go-to dinner options because it is easy, healthy, and down right delicious.
And if you’re just looking for more ground turkey dinner ideas I have you covered! I have a round up of 15 ground turkey dinners on my site!
I love finding ways to add avocado to my meals because avocados contain healthy fats and are very satisfying.
Avocados contribute good fats to one’s diet, providing 3 grams monounsaturated fat and 0.5 polyunsaturated grams fat per 1-oz. serving.
Also, avocados are cholesterol- and sodium-free, and more than 50 percent of the fruit’s fat content comes from monounsaturated fats.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this ground turkey dinner:
- Avocado: you can either dice them up and stir them into the ground turkey or just use them to top on the sweet potatoes when serving.
- Sweet potatoes: Bake, microwave or even cook them in the Instant Pot!
- Olive oil: Just a little olive oil to saute the onions and bell peppers.
- White onion: Yellow onion works well too.
- Red bell pepper: I love the sweetness of the red bell pepper, but feel free to use a different color if you prefer.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic for best flavor
- Seasonings: cumin, red pepper chili flakes (optional), garlic powder oregano, salt.
- Ground turkey: Or you can use ground chicken too!
- Petite diced tomatoes: keep the juice with the tomatoes when adding into the ground turkey.
- Cheddar cheese (or white cheddar): optional garnish
How to make this delicious Ground Turkey Dinner
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the sweet potatoes until fork tender.
- Saute onion, bell peppers and garlic then add seasonings.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and then simmer.
- Slice baked sweet potatoes lengthwise just until open. Fill with turkey mixture. Top with cheese & avocado.
If you don’t want to stuff the sweet potatoes, you can spoon out the cooked sweet potato into bowls and build a bowl instead!
Either way, I hope this recipe helps make your weeknights a little bit easier and that they whole family loves it. 🥰
More ground turkey dinner recipes you will love:
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or more as desired
- 1, 16 oz. (1 lb.) package ground turkey
- 1, 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 avocado (halved, seeded, and diced)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (or white cheddar), grated (optional)
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the sweet potatoes: pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork all over several times. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until soft and fork tender, about 45 minutes. (Or pierce with fork and cook in the microwave until soft & tender. I like to wrap mine in a paper towel. Cook time will vary based on size of the sweet potato but you can start with 10 minutes.)
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions, bell peppers and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, ~5 minutes. Stir in the red pepper chili flakes, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and salt.
- Add the ground turkey; cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, ~3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Slice the baked sweet potatoes lengthwise just until open. Fill with the turkey mixture. Top with cheese & avocado.
- Alternatively, you can scoop the sweet potato out into a bowl and build bowls instead of eating from the sweet potato itself. Enjoy!
- INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO DIRECTIONS: Place trivet down in the Instant Pot. Pour in 1 cup water and place the sweet potatoes on the trivet. Secure the lid and set to sealing. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes for a small/medium sized sweet potato. If your sweet potatoes are large I would cook it from 18-20 minutes on high pressure. Once done, let the pressure naturally release for another 10-15 minutes. Switch the valve to venting to release any extra pressure (there shouldn’t be any though after the natural release). Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot and serve with the ground turkey.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.