Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Stroganoff
American | Published Aug 16, 2020 | Updated Aug 25, 2020 | By Tawnie
This Ground Turkey Stroganoff is the epitome of comfort, doncha agree?!
There are many variations of this dish and my version is very modern and simplified. It is a family favorite and super simple to make!
Table of contents
This dinner is made with lean ground turkey and cooked in a creamy sauce in the slow cooker or crockpot for ease.
It’s one of those comfort foods that is so simple to make and has a relatively short ingredient list filled with pantry staple ingredients like Dijon mustard, Worcestershire and cream of mushroom soup!
If you’re new around here you know I love my easy to prepare meals (like this Weeknight Cashew Chicken Stir Fry and Ground Turkey Black Bean Enchiladas).
And if you like this recipe you need to also check out all of my favorite quick ground turkey recipes too!
Easy, full of flavor and minimal ingredients for a weeknight meal? Count me in! Plus, this ground turkey stroganoff makes enough for everyone to come back for seconds!
Ground Turkey Stroganoff Ingredients
- Ground Turkey: I chose ground turkey for a lighter option to this typical heavy meal. You can also use ground beef if you prefer.
- White Mushrooms: Fresh white mushrooms work best. You could also use a combination of mushrooms such as white , baby bellas and cremini.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: Adds to the creamy, savory and comforting taste of this family dinnertime staple. You can also use cream of chicken soup in a pinch.
- Beef Broth: You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth if you are out of beef broth.
- Sour Cream: This gets added in at the very end for an extra creamy sauce. It’s optional, but we always add it in! No sour cream? You can use heavy cream or Greek yogurt instead.
- Noodles: We love this ground turkey stroganoff served with tender egg noodles but you can really serve it with any noodle you like, or even rice!
How to Make Slow Cooker Stroganoff
- Sauté the mushrooms and onion over medium high heat with olive oil for ~5-7 minutes or until the mushrooms are meltingly tender. Place in slow cooker or crock pot.
- In the same pan, brown the ground turkey until no longer pink. Place in crock pot.
- To the slow cooker add the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, Dijon mustard, seasonings and Worcestershire. Stir.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low 3-4 hours.
- Stir in sour cream before serving. Serve with egg noodles and garnish with parsley.
Tips for Making Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- Sauté the mushrooms, onions and garlic together. Don’t be shy on the mushrooms, add more if you prefer!
- If you don’t have onions, shallots lend great flavor to stroganoff as well. They are more delicate in flavor.
- Stir in the sour cream at the end, right before serving. No sour cream? You can use Greek yogurt! Place some sour cream on the table too for anyone who wants an extra dollop.
- Serve ground turkey stroganoff with with any pasta shape you prefer, or even rice. Garnish with your desired toppings as well.
Yes – it is okay to freeze ground turkey stroganoff in an air tight container or baggie for up for 3 months.
Follow the same instructions, but instead of pouring everything into your slow cooker, pour and mix it all into a large pot or stockpot. Heat until warm, being sure to stir occasionally.
Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 (10.5oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 oz. egg noodles, cooked
- salt and pepper
- pinch sweet paprika (optional)
- Sauté the mushrooms and onion over medium high heat in a large sauté pan with ~1-2 Tbsp. olive oil for about 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add in the garlic, reduce heat if needed. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are meltingly tender, ~2-3 minutes more. Pour in slow cooker or crock pot.
- In the same pan, brown the ground turkey. Season meat with salt and pepper and cook until fully cooked. Drain any liquid if needed. Pour meat into the crock pot.
- To the slow cooker add the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire, Italian seasoning and a pinch of sweet paprika and stir.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low 3-4 hours. Stir in sour cream before serving. Serve with egg noodles and garnish with parsley. YUM!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
I love that this is a light bit lighter of a take on a traditional stroganoff. Crock pot meal is an added bonus! Definitely a favorite in our house hold!
Thank you so much Ashlyn! My husband requests this one frequently too hehe. xo, Tawnie
I made this last night. I added some spinach and extra mushrooms. My sauce turned out very watery despite draining the meat. I used reduced fat sour cream, not sure if that is the reason but I would use full fat next time!
Hi Ashley! So Sorry the sauce was watery. I haven’t had that issue before! Was the spinach frozen or fresh?
No sure of your diatery goals/requirements but I add a bit of flour or cornstarch and it helped to thicken mine up a bit. 🙂
This was very good! I used lower sodium soup and beef broth to cut down on the salt. I also used plenty of fresh ground pepper. Delish!
mmmm, I am so glad! Thank you Holly!!
Easy and yum yum yummy!! Accidentally forgot the “slow-cooker” part and prepared on the stove…still easy and delish. I’m not usually a stroganoff fan but I’m hooked on this particular recipe now.
Hi Janine! Thank you so much 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it!! xo, Tawnie
Easy weekend dinner with leftovers for lunch this week. Made this on the stove and came out great!
The slow cooker is such a great help when producing a great dinner. This recipe is full of ingredients that most people have in their refrigerators and pantry’s all the time.
Ground turkey fans here! This mouthwatering recipe is going to become a staple in my slow-cooker collection. Thanks for sharing!
I love tasty recipes that I can throw in the slow cooker. Can’t wait to try this one.
Trying to eat lighter and so we love this turkey version of our favorite stroganoff! Love it even more than beef!
This looks like something my family would like. Can’t wait to try it.