This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
*this post is currently being updated*
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 3 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup molasses (I used Grandmas Molasses)
- 2 Tbsp. milk
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt & set aside.
- Using a Kitchen Aid mixer (using the paddle attachment) or hand mixer, cream together sugar and butter until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when needed. Mix in the egg yolk (not with the egg white, just yolk) and vanilla extract. Then mix in molasses and 2 Tbsp milk.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined, while adding additional milk as needed just to bring dough together.
- Divide dough into four equal portions then using a rolling pin roll each portion out evenly (about 1/4-inch thickness). You will need extra flour handy because they dough may be sticky.
- Chill on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or using a Silpat Cookie Sheet Liner) in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or until firm. Then cut into shapes using cookie cutters. (Pro tip: cut with a floured gingerbread man cookie cutter). I use the cookie cutters from Sur la Table, so cute.
- Remove from paper using a thin metal spatula or pastry scraper if needed then transfer to a cookie sheet, spacing cookies about 1-inch apart, and bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes or until slightly set.
- Repeat process with remaining cookies. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate with frosting if you'd like!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.