Blueberry Quinoa Parfait: Blueberries are consumers top preferred berry, so why not add a handful into your morning routine with this Blueberry Quinoa Parfait?
THIS POST HAS BEEN SPONSORED BY THE U.S. HIGH BUSH BLUEBERRY COUNCIL. ALL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE BRANDS THAT KEEP KROLL’S KORNER RUNNING!
One of the biggest questions I get asked is, “What should I eat for breakfast?”
We often get bored with breakfast and tend to skip it. In the morning you are rushed, trying to make it out the door on time, and you barley manage to make it to your car without spilling your coffee. Sound familiar?
You can prep this Blueberry Quinoa Parfait the night before to have it ready in the AM, or to enjoy as an afternoon snack.
Why I love blueberries:
- Blueberry help you look and feel your best!
- Blueberries provide a hassle-free way to eat well year-round. I enjoy them in frozen and fresh form.
- Speaking of frozen and fresh blueberries, both contain beneficial vitamins and minerals. Frozen blueberries are picked at the peak of ripeness and individually quick-frozen to preserve their taste and nutritional components.
- Blueberries are a convenient food that can be eaten on the go or part of your favorite dish – like this parfait.
- It’s rare to encounter an individual who doesn’t enjoy the taste of blueberries. But beyond their tangy sweetness and the fact you can pop them into your mouth one by one or incorporate them into many recipes, blueberries offer a wealth of health benefits…
- Blueberries are a good source of fiber (3.6g per serving which is a handful or a cup). Fiber aids in digestion and fiber rich foods may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Fresh Blueberries are a good source of Vitamin C. A handful or cup (1 serving) of blueberries provides 16% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C.
- Blueberries contain many vitamins and minerals: vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries
- Nut of choice (walnuts, pecans, pistachios)
- Honey or maple syrup to drizzle
How to make a Blueberry Quinoa Parfait:
First, you will make the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa and then cook 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups water on the stove. Do this by pouring the quinoa and water in a saucepan, bring to a small boil, and then place lid on the pot, lower to a simmer and let the quinoa cook for 15-20 minutes.
Once quinoa is cooked, cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes. It’s nice to have quinoa already prepped so when you’re ready to make your parfait you can skip this part.
Mix 2 cups quinoa to 2 cups yogurt together in a medium sized bowl. In a parfait glass, layer the quinoa & yogurt down first, then a layer of blueberries, another layer of quinoa & yogurt, and top with more blueberries, nuts and a drizzle of honey.
I hope you love this recipe, enjoy!!
Blueberry Quinoa Parfait
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups yogurt, plain, blueberry or vanilla
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- drizzle of honey and zest of lemon for garnish
- Mix 2 cups quinoa to 2 cups yogurt together in a medium sized bowl. In a parfait glass, layer the quinoa & yogurt down first, then a layer of blueberries, another layer of quinoa & yogurt, and top with more blueberries, nuts and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy right away, or place in fridge to enjoy in the morning!