Fresh Cranberry Chia Seed Compote
Breakfast | Published Nov 4, 2018 | Updated Oct 25, 2019 | By Tawnie
Fresh Cranberry Chia Seed Compote is a fool proof recipe you’ll be able to enjoy in a variety of ways all Holiday season!
Don’t you love it when you see fresh cranberries pop up in the product section! Hello holiday season!
Move over pumpkin. Cranberries, enter scene.
JK, I will forever love pumpkin. But cranberries have a special place in my heart too. If you don’t have any fresh cranberries on hand you can always opt for my Cranberry Orange Breakfast Bread made with dried cranberries!
What are some health benefits of cranberries?
(This information is sourced from the US Cranberries website).
Cranberries contain essential vitamins and minerals, dietary fiber and other naturally occurring compounds that may have potential health benefits.
Cranberries are cholesterol and fat free, and very low in sodium.
Cranberry juice is an excellent source of antioxidant vitamins C and E. Some scientific evidence suggests that consumption of antioxidant vitamins may reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer. However, FDA has determined that this evidence is limited and not conclusive.
Cranberries are naturally low in sugar and high in acidity, making them especially tart. The Dietary Guidelines allow for a limited amount of added sugar to improve palatability and recommends less than 10 percent of calories per day be from added sugar. The total amount of sugar in dried cranberries is similar to that of other dried fruit.
Can I make this with dried cranberries?
Unfortunately, no. Fresh cranberries only for best results.
Ways to enjoy this compote:
- Spread on leftover turkey sandwiches
- Spread it on toast #toasttuesday
- Enjoy over a bowl of ice cream or yogurt
- Serve over baked oatmeal (or your routine oatmeal bowl)
- Spread it on pancakes or waffles
- Enjoy it with turkey on Thanksgiving
- Top it on warm apple pie!
- Serve with pork tenderloin or pork chops
- Layer it in a parfait
- Engaged life is SO fun! (and a little stressful) Lots of planning already and time is flying!
- My sister in law found out she is having a BOY!!!! Due March 2019!
- I am still loving the Pilates studio I work at…we are opening up a second studio in 2019 as well.
- I’m on season 6 Grey’s Anatomy – I’m sooo behind the times. LOL!
What’s new with you? Let me know in the comments below!
Fresh Cranberry Chia Seed Compote
- 1 12oz. bag fresh (or frozen) cranberries – about 3 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Optional: orange zest
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, maple syrup, chia seeds and water. Start with 1/4 cup water, then continue to add more a tablespoon at a time as it cooks and thickens.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to burst and the sauce thickens, about 15-20 minute! Let cool before serving & store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
PIN THIS FRESH CRANBERRY CHIA SEED COMPOTE FOR LATER!
What’s your favorite way to cook or bake with fresh cranberries?
Let me know in the comments below!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
I am making this to put in my lunches next week but will switch the maple syrup for honey and only put 2 TBSP, but even that may be too sweet? I will switch the orange zest for lemon, I hope it will be OK. And my favorite way to use cranberries? As a topping on ice cream, straight out of the freezer! Thank you for this post, however old, it is still good. Peace and blessings on your marriage!
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much!
Chia seeds are the best! Love this compote, so good on everything!
Love having them on hand – so nutritious! Thank you Em!! xo
I made this over the weekend and it was incredible!!
Pretty sure it doesn’t get any better or easier than this!
Love easy recipe – thank you Lorie 🙂
This is so good! Love the flavors and chia seeds in compote!
Thank you! 🙂 Love sneaking in extra nutrients whenever I can!
This is a meal prep item that I MUST try soon. I’ll let you know how it goes!
This is the perfect compote for the winter months! I always use raspberries in the summer so now I have a recipe using winter produce!
Yay! I love prepping this on Sunday’s and then having it for it’s multiple purposes throughout the week! 🙂 Enjoy!
So many ways to use this!!!! Looks amazing. I would love it on a turkey sandwich.
It’s absolutely incredible with turkey sandwiches!(If I do say so myself!) Thank you so much Susie!