This Cheerio Trail Mix is full of nuts and seeds and dried fruit and makes for a convenient healthy snack.
Sure, you could buy trail mix at the store but making a homemade trail mix is much more fun in my opinion!
Table of contents
Plus it was so simple to make. It took all of 15 minutes to throw together and I was in control of all ingredients so I know exactly what went in to the recipe!
I love that this Cheerio trail mix is super customizable too. You can use whatever dried fruits and nuts you have on hand and even use a different flavor Cheerio like honey nut, multi grain or cinnamon!
- Cheerios: I usually use plain or honey nut. However, there are so many fun flavors and limited edition flavors too that you could try out. (Chocolate peanut butter, banana nut, apple cinnamon, etc.)
- Dried fruit: I used dried cranberries and golden raisins in this recipe. Other options you can add in: dried pineapple, dried apricots, banana chips, dried mango, dried cherries.
- Nuts and seeds: I used cashews, walnuts and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). You could also use macadamia nuts and salted almonds too!
- Peanut butter: Any creamy peanut butter works. You could also use a drippy almond butter or any nut butter you love!
- Honey and Butter: these ingredients get melted with the peanut butter and tossed with the cheerios, nuts and dried fruits.
- Other fun optional add ins: Coconut flakes, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, popped popcorn. You really can’t go wrong with whatever trail mix combination you choose. Have fun with it!
How to make it
- In a large bowl combine the cheerios, dried fruit, nuts and seeds together.
- In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter, honey and butter until melted.
- Pour over the cheerio mixture and combine.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours then enjoy!
How to store
- Since this Cheerio trail mix is made with peanut butter, I recommend to store it in the fridge.
- Store in glass mason jars or in reusable bags like Zip Top or Stasher Bags.
- This trail mix will last for up to 5 days. I find after that, it loses crunch!
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Homemade Cheerio Trail Mix
- 3 cups Cheerios plain or honey nut
- 1/3 cup Dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup Golden raisins
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Pepitas
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter (or nut butter of your preference)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Butter, unsalted
- In a large bowl mix Cheerios, cranberries, golden raisins, cashews, pepitas and walnuts together.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the peanut butter, honey and butter together. Pour over Cheerio mixture and stir to combine.
- Store in fridge for 2 hours before consuming. Enjoy as is or on yogurt.
- Store in fridge. This helps prevent Cheerios from getting ‘melty.’
- Great on yogurt or as is for a healthy snack.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie