Table of contents
Creating these black bean avocado brownies
Black Bean Avocado brownies were not something I necessarily made growing up…but I make these monthly now!
Black bean avocado brownies ingredients
These healthy black bean brownies are similar to the ones you ate growing up, but with a few special additions. For these black bean avocado brownies, you’ll need:
- Black beans
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Baking powder
- Dark chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
If you’re worried these healthy brownies will taste like black beans, don’t be! You really can’t taste the beans, they just add a unique texture to these brownies.
How to make black bean avocado brownies
- To make these easy avocado brownies, simply add all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips because those will go on top) into a food processor and process until smooth.
- You can’t make classic brownies this way because you’d over work the flour and make the brownies tough and chewy, but because there’s no flour in this recipe a food processor works wonders!
- Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish and transfer the batter into it. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over top and then bake these healthy brownies for roughly 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You’ll need to let the brownies cool for 20 minutes or so before cutting into them — assuming you can wait that long!
- Store brownies in the fridge.
Is there a sugar substitute I can use?
If you’d like to cut out the sugar in this recipe, I recommend substituting it with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce + 1/2 cup coconut sugar.
Can I add mix-ins to the batter?
Please do! You can stir in additional chocolate chips, crushed nuts, Oreos, and more. These avocado brownies would taste amazing drizzle with peanut butter too. To make these healthy black bean brownies holiday-appropriate, top with seasonal M&M’s (perfect for any holiday!).
Tips for making black bean brownies
- Make sure you’re using black beans that are unseasoned (salt is okay, but you don’t want pre-flavored chili beans or anything like that). The black beans should also be drained and rinsed very well before mixing them into the batter.
- You can use any size avocado you want in this healthy brownie recipe. Just make sure the avocado is ripe and creamy.
- Lastly, you’ll need to store these black bean avocado brownies in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for up to five days!
Black Bean Avocado Brownies
- 1, 15 oz. can black beans rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar*
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 avocado, medium in size
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix all ingredients in a food processor (except the chocolate chips) until smooth.
- Spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick spray or (lightly coat with coconut oil) and scoop brownie batter into pan. (You can mix in some chocolate chips in at this point too if you'd like.) Sprinkle enough chocolate chips to cover the top of batter ~1/2-3/4 cup.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until you poke brownies with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before you cut. (If you can wait that long)! Store in fridge for up to 5 days & enjoy!
- *You can also sub the 3/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce + 1/2 cup coconut sugar.
- Drizzle these brownies with peanut butter if desired!
- Feel free to stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips into brownie batter and use remaining to sprinkle on top prior to baking. Use dairy free chocolate chips if needed.
- Other variations: add crumbled Oreos on top. Make festive for holidays by adding on colored M&M’s or seasonal chocolates!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie