This Bruschetta French Toast with Parmesan Crust is a fun savory way to enjoy traditional french toast for breakfast or brunch!
We have arrived at another Recipe Redux themed post! This months theme is…
August 2017 – Theme
Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast
The trend of protein-packed breakfasts is catching on…and back-to-school time is looming. This month, show us new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast. Think egg burritos, beans and rice, or maybe even pasta?!
For some reason, I could not get my mind off of french toast! I know french toast is not the most protein packed breakfast out there, but pair it with some scrambled eggs and you’re golden! I told myself for some reason I just HAD to make it for this blog post. Plus, I don’t think I have a french toast recipe posted yet (which is bizarre) so this was a perfect opportunity.
As you are well aware, french toast typically has very sweet flavors – maple syrup with butter/whip cream is standard. I wanted to switch things up so I came up with a Parmesan crusted french toast and topped it with a bruschetta inspired tomato mixture + Prosciutto. YUM!
PIN this recipe for later!
- SF style sourdough bread, cut 1 inch thick (I used 1/2 loaf)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- 2-3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil, chopped (6-7 big leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together diced tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Set aside and let flavors marinate.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and add in a splash of water, salt and pepper. Take each 1 inch slice of bread and dip both sides in egg mixture and then coat in the grated Parmesan.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter and cook bread slices for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown. Repeat this with remaining bread and use more butter in pan if needed.
- Top each slice with prosciutto and tomato mixture. Drizzle with a balsamic reduction if desired and serve with scrambled eggs. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @krolls_korner on Instagram or send me a pic, I’d love to see!
- Looking for easy and healthy recipes? Head over to my Pinterest page to get inspired!
- You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook – follow along for nutrition info and more recipes.