This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Bacardi Rum Cake is ultra moist, really easy to make and everyone always loves it!
Traditionally, Bacardi Rum Cake is made with nuts (walnuts or pecans). My husband is allergic to all nuts, so I wanted to make this cake nut-free so we could all enjoy it!
The best part about this cake, aside from it being just totally delicious, is the glaze that gets soaked into it. It’s what takes this cake from being just “ok” to INCREDIBLE.
It’s the perfect cake for parties, get togethers, birthdays or just because.
Bacardi Rum Cake is
- Bursting with flavor
- Tastes better the longer it sits and soaks up the glaze!
- A great make-ahead cake
- Super moist
- EASY to make!
Ingredients you’ll need for Bacardi Rum Cake
For the ingredient measurements and entire recipe, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the blog post where the recipe card is located.
- Yellow Cake Mix: using a box cake mix makes this recipe really easy!
- Instant Vanilla Pudding: look for the instant vanilla pudding, not the cook and serve.
- Eggs: you’ll need 4 eggs for this recipe
- Canola oil: or vegetable oil works well too.
- Bacardi Rum: a dark rum works well but a light or gold rum is ok too, it may alter the color.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: use a good quality chocolate for the ganache for best results.
How to make Bacardi Rum Cake
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the bottom of the blog post to the recipe card.
- Grease the bundt pan.
- Beat together the eggs and liquid ingredients.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake
- Make the glaze and pour all over the cake.
- Once glaze has absorbed into the cake, top with ganache.
- The glaze is key to making this key moist! Be sure to use any of the extra glaze that collects at the bottom of the cake on the plate and pour it back into the cake. We want all of that goodness in the cake!
- You can also pour the glaze onto the cake while it’s still in the bundt pan to make this part easy.
- This cake is really good as it sits so it’s a great make-ahead cake. If you can, allow 1-2 hours for the glaze to really absorb into the cake before serving.
- When making the ganache, don’t let the heavy cream get too hot. Just warm enough to melt the chocolate.
How to prevent bundt cakes from sticking to the pan
- Use a non-stick coated pan! It’s all about the pan. If your pan is old and questionable, don’t waste your time.
- Grease your pan. There is a debate on using butter or shortening. I always use butter and then sprinkle with flour and have had good luck. If you haven’t and want to try something else, try solid shortening and sprinkle with flour or granulated sugar!
How to store a bundt cake
- This American-Classic dessert is best stored at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days, or in the fridge for 1 week.
- It also freezes very well. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freeze safe container for up to 3 months.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (15.25 oz)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup Bacardi rum
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or milk)
For the glaze:
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Bacardi rum
For the ganache:
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with a little softened butter and sprinkle an even layer of flour in the pan, shaking out any excess flour. Alternatively, you can spray with a non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, oil, water and rum with a hand mixer, or using a stand mixer, just until mixed.4 large eggs, 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup Bacardi rum, 1/2 cup filtered water (or milk)
- Then add in the cake mix and instant pudding and beat just until smooth.1 box yellow cake mix (15.25 oz), 1 box instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The cake will have a light golden brown color on top when finished.
For the glaze
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Then add the sugar and water and stir. Let this simmer for 1-2 minutes.8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 1/4 cup filtered water, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum. Pour into a 2 cup measuring cup.1/2 cup Bacardi rum
- You can leave the cake in the bundt pan so all the glaze soaks into it (I like this option for easier clean up) or invert the cake onto a plate or cooling rack, just make sure something is underneath it to catch the glaze so you can re-glaze it with all the glaze that drips down the sides.
- Prick the cake all over using a fork or toothpick and then slowly pour 1/2 cup of the glaze into the cake. The cake will start to absorb the glaze. Add another half cup of the glaze and wait a few more minutes to absorb it. Repeat until glaze is finished. Allow the glaze to fully soak into the cake. If you kept the cake in the bundt pan, you can invert onto a serving plate once glaze has been absorbed.
For the ganache
- Pour the chopped chocolate pieces in a heat proof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just until it’s warm, do not let it boil. Pour the warmed cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. The warm cream will melt the chocolate. Stir or whisk until it is smooth and creamy. Pour the ganache over the cake, as it cools the ganache will set up.4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped, 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Slice and enjoy!
- Storage: best stored at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days, or in the fridge for 1 week. It also freezes very well. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll’s Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.