Butternut Squash Bites make for the perfect appetizer during just about any time of year! Easy, nutritious, and delicious!
May 2016 – Theme
- 1 package frozen mini phyllo dough shells 15 shells
- 1 bag of frozen butternut squash mine was 10 oz.
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium white onion diced
- 2 tsp. fresh sage chopped (may opt for cilantro if you do not prefer sage)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Set phyllo shells on an ungreased cookie sheet. Then, microwave frozen butternut squash as directed on package.
In a medium sized skillet, melt butter and cook onion for ~5 minutes on medium heat. Stirring occasionally. Onion should become near translucent. In a medium bowl (or if large enough just use the same bowl you cooked the squash in) mix the onion, squash, sage, cheese, and seasonings until nicely incorporated.
Spoon mixture into phyllo shells and bake for 8 minutes. Top with pumpkin seeds and serve warm!