Zucchini Parmesan Waffles are a delicious way to celebrate National Waffle Day today!
I always love finding ways to sneak in extra veggies, and these waffles do just that! I do not have kids yet, but if do you this if such a fun recipe to try out with them. My mom always says I am going to be such a great mom since I am learning how to sneak in all these veggies now..so let’s hope I live up to that! haha:) Speaking of kids, August is Kids Eat Right month, so that’s one more reason to make these Zucchini waffles!
In honor of National Waffle Day, I whipped these bad boys up and they did not disappoint. Sometimes people choose to back away from waffles because of their high carbohydrate, fat and sugar content – but these waffles provide you with more vitamins and nutrients compared to your ordinary waffle.
What are some fun ways you sneak veggies into your diet?!
Hope you enjoy! PS: this recipe is inspired from Yahoo Food and I made a few tweaks of my own!
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour (or white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated or coconut sugar)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Shred zucchini with grater. Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let the salted zucchini sit for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze excess water out from zucchini using a cheesecloth or towel. Very important to get as much water removed as you can!
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the grated Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Mix the contents of the small bowl into the large bowl and then add the zucchini and toss until everything is well-combined.
- Coat the waffle iron with nonstick spray.
- Place enough batter on the waffle iron to fill the area. Close the lid and cook until lightly browned.
- Serve topped with the remaining Parmesan and butter.
- I love this recipe because it makes 4-5 waffles - perfect when you just want waffles without a ton of leftovers!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @krolls_korner on Instagram or send me a pic, I’d love to see!
- Looking for easy and healthy recipes? Head over to my Pinterest page to get inspired!
- You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook – follow along for nutrition info and more recipes.