Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
Chicken | Published Jun 13, 2022 | Updated Jun 13, 2022 | By Tawnie
With summer time weather in full force, we are craving fresh and healthy meals like this easy and flavorful Mediterranean Chicken and Rice. ⭐️
This recipe does require you to turn the oven on for ~35 minutes. I know ovens and summer time is a bad combo but for this dinner it is so worth it!
I’m all about using the cast iron skillet to whip up dinners. If it can be made using one pan/one skillet/one bowl, I’m in. I think we can all agree that less dishes make us all happier people. 😂
Table of contents
If you’re craving more Mediterranean meals, we love this Mediterranean Salmon and this Mediterranean Orzo Salad recipe too! They are both delicious warm weather recipes.
- Chicken thighs: We love using skinless, boneless chicken thighs for this meal. Makes it easier to cut up and eat once it’s done!
- Rice: Jasmine rice or a long grain variety. This recipe has not been tested with brown rice.
- Seasonings: you’ll need cumin, turmeric and cinnamon for the yellow rice. For the chicken, dried oregano, dried parsley, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Onion: Be sure to finely dice the onion so there isn’t large chunks of onion in the yellow rice.
How to make Mediterranean Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium sized bowl, mix chicken thighs with oregano, parsley, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in olive oil, then place seasoned chicken onto cast iron skillet (or the pan you are using) and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Chicken won’t cook completely, that’s OK because it will be going into the oven to cook all the way!
- Remove the chicken from the cast iron and set side on a plate. Keep the cast iron on medium heat, melt the butter and add in diced onion. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then stir in garlic.
- Then, add in the uncooked rice and stir for 30 seconds. Then add in the chicken broth, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, stir.
- Place chicken back in pan on top of the uncooked rice. Cover with foil and bake in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F and rice is cooked.
Garnish with parsley and other garnish suggestions and enjoy!
Mediterranean Chicken FAQ
You can use a regular deep frying pan too!
Scrub cast iron well in hot soapy water. Dry thoroughly. Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the cast iron. Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.) Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven
A lot of basil, cucumbers, dill, fennel, feta cheese, garlic, honey, lemon, mint, olive oil, oregano, yogurt.
This yellow rice is the best rice I’ve ever had. We made it over Christmas and we are now obsessed!
Use Jasmine rice! Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. Adding in the turmeric not only gives it a beautiful glowing yellow color but it adds a richness to the dish. Add in cumin so it adds to the nutty flavor of the jasmine rice!
Any white long grain white rice works!
Yes! I would slice them in half lengthwise to make them thinner and easier to cook!
More chicken and rice recipes you will love:
shop this post
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless (or ~5 chicken thighs)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced (~1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
For the yellow rice:
- 1 cup Jasmine or Basmati white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced (or yellow onion is ok too!)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- fresh parsley for garnish
Garnish ideas: kalamata olives, feta cheese, fresh parsley, lemon zest, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a medium sized bowl, mix chicken thighs with oregano, parsley, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in olive oil, then once hot place seasoned chicken onto cast iron skillet (or the pan you are using) and cook for ~3-4 minutes on each side. Chicken won’t cook completely, that’s OK because it will be going into the oven to cook all the way!
- Remove the chicken from the cast iron and set aside on a plate. Keep the cast iron on medium heat, melt the butter and add in diced onion. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then stir in garlic.
- Then, add in the uncooked rice and stir for 30 seconds. Pour in the chicken broth, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, stir. Place chicken back in pan on top of the uncooked rice and turn the heat off.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F and rice is cooked. Taste rice and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or pepper as desired. Garnish with parsley and other garnishes you prefer and enjoy!
- Recipe adapted from Dinner then Dessert.
- This recipe serves 4, depending on your appetite. When Cameron and I are really hungry…we can eat this entire meal on our own, haha!
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
I made this tonight, and it was AMAZING! This is definitely going into rotation. My picky 5yr devoured it.
Aw Christine, that made my day!! Thank you so much for the comment, I am glad your little one enjoyed it! xo, Tawnie
Very tasty recipe! I’ve never mad a Mediterranean chicken before and this was easy and delicious. Adding feta gave it an extra burst of flavor.
I am so glad you enjoyed it – thank you!!
This Recipe is so easy and AMAZING! Being a working mom, give me a one pan meal and I’m in! The best part is I already had all of the ingredients on hand to make this as they are items I always have. I’m not one to typically leave a review but this one deserved it. Even got the husbands stamp of approval.
Aw Debby thank you SOO much!! This means so much to me that you (and your hubby) enjoyed it – thank you!
Took this to a Sunday family dinner and wow oh wow! It was definitely a crowd pleaser. Everyone was asking for the recipe. Thanks for sharing Tawnie!
Thank you so much Heather I am so glad everyone enjoyed it!
Love the idea of cooking chicken with rice in a skillet! Can’t wait to try it.
Sooo easy and tasty! Thanks so much Matt I hope you love it!
Such a gorgeous one pan meal! I absolutely love the color of that rice. Definitely need to give it a try.
Thank you so much! My family loves this one & hope you do too!
Is my husband secretly a fan of your blog? Because he keeps saying the same thing to me when I ask him what he wants for dinner — “More Mediterranean, please!” I am adding this to my meal plan list ASAP. He will be so pleased.
hahaha omg too funny!! Thank you, hope he loves this one!! xo
One pan chicken dishes are what get me through the week. Love the Kalamata olives in this one!
Thank you so much Tara!!
What a delicious looking mediterranean chicken rice!! Yumm, i would love to give this a try!!
Thank you so much Sonila! I hope you love it!
Thank you so much!