I have been cooking with so much asparagus this season! I am loving it. With this recipe, I did some research on different asparagus soups and many of them use a heavy cream to thicken it up. I wanted to put a fun twist on the soup and try out making it with siggi’s plain skyr yogurt and it turned out heavenly! It was a perfect light soup and made for an easy weeknight meal. I have several yummy recipes using siggi’s amazing yogurt listed below…and be sure to check out a post from last year on my top 5 reasons why I love siggi’s! 🙂
I love being a brand ambassador for siggi’s because 1. It’s freaking delicious yogurt and 2. It really is nutritious. I had such a blast meeting siggi himself at FNCE last year and also being able to hear his story. One of my favorite things he told us is he never changed his “simple ingredients, not a lot of sugar” slogan. It is the same slogan he used when he was just starting small, and he remained consistent with it as the company grew.
Asparagus fun fact: It takes 3 years for asparagus to grow from seed to harvest! (This reminded me of when my mom wanted to start an avocado tree from the seed until we found out it can take up to 13 years to set fruit, haha!)
Creamy Vegetarian Asparagus Soup w/ siggi's YogurtPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 5.3 oz. container of siggi's plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper - 1 tsp. of each
- Wash asparagus and cut an inch or two off from the bottom of them. Place the asparagus, shallot, garlic and onion in a saucepan with 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring this to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove a few asparagus tips to garnish the soup when you serve.
- Place the rest of the veggies in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Melt butter in the same saucepan the asparagus cooked in and mix in flour, salt and pepper and whisk for 30 seconds. (Don't let flour burn!) Stir in remaining vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Take the pureed veggies and soy milk and stir into the saucepan. Next, whisk in the siggi's yogurt, lemon juice and red pepper chili flakes. Bring to a boil again, serve hot with fresh Parmesan on top and garnish with asparagus tips.