Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups…quick and satisfying meal! The weeks are busy so try out this easy weeknight dinner to make the whole family happy!
I have been battling a little cold this week so I felt like making some comfort food for myself. This recipe hit the spot, that’s for sure! I wanted to try something new and different with these roll ups. Cooking with zucchini has been sorta my thing lately so I decided to incorporate zucchini into this recipe as well. I used a potato peeler and peeled strips of the zucchini and layered some onto the lasagna noodles before spreading the ricotta cheese mixture on. I also thinly sliced mushrooms and placed those on top of the cheese before I put the sauce on. My mouth is watering just thinking about them again! 😉
Rolls ups are also a fun way to get kids involved in the kitchen. Have them mix the cheese and spread it on the lasagna noodle for you! I found it easier to just use my hands (clean hands that is) to spread the cheese on the noodle. This will be fun for the kiddos! Additionally, these roll ups can really help you keep your portions in check!
Hope you enjoy this recipe either for a Meatless Monday night or really any day!
[Tweet “Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups – what is my secret veggie ingredient?! |Krollskorner.com”]
Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 10 ounce packaged of frozen spinach thawed
- 3/4 cup mushroom thinly sliced
- 15 ounces low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups fresh shredded mozzarella plus a little more for sprinkling
- 1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 jar red sauce of your choice I used a garlic basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil into a large non-stick pan. Heat over medium heat and then add onion, garlic and shallot. Cook for ~3 minutes and then add in jar of red sauce and season with a little salt and pepper. Let this simmer while you continue to prep rest of the recipe.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and carefully add in lasagna noodles. Add a little salt into the water while it comes to a boil. Cook noodles until al dente and then drain. Line the noodles on a piece of wax paper. Be sure to spray the wax paper with PAM before laying noodles down so they don't stick!
- While the noodles are cooking, prepare the cheese mixture in a medium sized bowl. Mix together ricotta, egg, Parmesan, mozzarella, spinach, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using the potato peeler, peel zucchini slices to lay down on each lasagna noodle. Stop peeling when you hit the seeds. Then lay down ~1/4 cup of the cheese mixture onto each noodle and spread across noodle with clean hands. Then sprinkle some of the sliced mushrooms on top and a little of the red sauce that has been simmering. Top with extra mozzarella cheese and roll up each noodle jellyroll style.
- In a 13x9 inch baking dish, spread more red sauce on bottom of pan and then neatly place each roll up in pan. Top with more red sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until hot. Don't let foil stick to noodles!
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy warm.