Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles are tossed in a flavorful sesame dressing, crisp slices of bell peppers, vibrant steamed broccoli and carrots. It’s an easy to make, vegetarian weeknight dinner recipe that is deliciously savory and satisfying.
Happy Tuesday everyone! Today I am sharing a recipe that I make very often with Cameron and I figured if we love these Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles so much then you all will too!
What are udon noodles?
Udon noodles are thick wheat noodles that are soft, chewy, and neutral in flavor so they go well with strong & flavorful sauces, like this spicy sesame sauce.
Fresh or dried udon? I personally prefer buying the fresh udon noodles. Dried udon is still good, but the texture is more dense. Dried is also flatter than the fresh noodles and the fresh are more fat and bouncy and more delicate than the dried.
How to cook udon noodles:
Cook the udon noodles in well-salted boiling water until just tender (about 3 minutes for fresh, 8 minutes for dried). Drain the noodles and rinse them briefly under cold water before tossing with the sesame dressing.
Why rinse the udon noodles? Rinsing the udon noodles stops the cooking and also removes some of the surface starch, preventing them from sticking together.
This Spicy Sesame Udon Noodle dish is:
- Well balanced in flavor
- Vegetarian but can easily be paired with shrimp, tofu, chicken or steak!
- Yummy warm or chilled
- Tossed in great flavors such as garlic, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper chili flakes
- Even better than take out!
What to serve Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles with?
Spicy Sesame noodles are delicious served on their own and they make a great quick and healthy weeknight dinner. 20 minutes tops to make!
If you want to serve the noodles with a protein try:
- Grilled chicken
- Or just add more veggies – bulk it up by adding mushrooms, edamame and snap peas.
Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles
- 2, 7.75 oz. packages of fresh Udon Noodles
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 3-4 carrots, large, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- pepper to taste
For the sesame dressing:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. chili-garlic paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together in a mason jar or bowl and set aside.
- Boil water in a medium saucepan for udon noodles and cook according to package directions (fresh is about 3 minutes). Once done, drain, rinse and set side.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, pour 1 Tbsp. of the sesame sauce into the pan with the carrots and bell peppers and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. While that is cooking, steam the broccoli in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Gently toss together the cooked udon noodles with the veggies and pour the sauce on top and mix. Top with additional sesame seeds before serving.