Beef & Pork | Published Mar 31, 2020 | Updated Jun 16, 2020 | By Tawnie
If you’re looking for an easy, quick and delicious ground beef burger you’ve been pointed in the right direction.
Table of contents
The flavor, texture and ease of this burger make it an approachable and easy weeknight meal or something tasty to make for an outdoor BBQ with warmer weather approaching.
There are so many ways to add a flavor boost to burgers; the tips and tricks seem endless & everyone swears by their method.
The flavor boost I give to these burgers is simple: letting a tablespoon of butter melt on the burger patty right before you put the cheese on (when the burger is almost done).
It’s simple: just plop an extra pat of butter on top to give the burger a bit of fatty sweetness. Each bite is extra juicy. This step is totally non-negotiable in my opinion!
Another tip I like to remind people of is not to overwork the beef as you form the patties so the burgers stay moist and juicy.
Ground Beef Burgers Ingredients
- Ground Beef: I purchased a 1 lb. pre-packaged ground beef at the store (80% lean 20% fat). This is like the standard issue beef that you can find at any store usually.
- However, chuck is the best beef to use for burgers. You don’t want to use a lean beef or beef with a low fat percentage because fat provides moisture and flavor to the meat, and when you’re cooking over a hot grill, fat helps prevent the burger from drying out.
- The optimal fat content for burgers is 15 to 20 percent.
- White onion: minced. This gets mixed into the meat.
- Garlic: I recommend using fresh garlic bulb and mincing them.
- Worcestershire: Adds sort of an interesting depth of flavor that enhances the basic beefy taste of this overall basic burger.
- Salt: season the meat with salt as you are mixing, but also a little right before the burgers hit the pan or grill too!
- Salt removes water from and dissolves some of the meat proteins so it’s best to salt your burgers for a tender burger until just before they hit the pan or grill.
- Pepper, Parsley & Garlic Powder: Additional seasonings we like to add for a bit more flavor.
- Hamburger Buns & your favorite hamburger toppings: avocado, lettuce, bacon, ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, tomato, onions, chili, grilled onions, cheddar cheese, fried egg, guacamole.
How to Make Ground Beef Burgers
- Make the patties: In a large bowl, use your hands to gently combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Divide your mixture into four equal-sized, meat pucks about 2 1/2 inches thick.
- Cook the burgers: Heat a griddle (a large cast-iron skillet works or a stainless-steel skillet) over high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to the griddle or skillet and allow it to get hot.
- Add the patties to the griddle and let them cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Seasoning with more salt while they cook. You’ll know it’s ready to be flipped when the burger is browned and crisp.
- Once the burgers are almost done, plot a pat of butter on each burger and let it melt. Then add a slice of cheddar cheese on top and cook until it’s melted.
- Burgers should read at least 160°F for a medium burger.
- Assemble burgers with your favorite toppings: butter lettuce, creamy Dijon mustard, ketchup, pickles, red onion, tomatoes, etc.
Ground Beef Burger Topping Ideas
My favorite ideas:
- Butter lettuce
- Creamy Dijon mustard
- Red onions
- Caramelized onions
- Juicy red tomatoes
- Avocado or guacamole
- Cheese: cheddar, pepper jack or Swiss
Can I Freeze Burgers?
Yes! Prepare the ground meat mixture, form into patties and place them in a single layer in a freezer bag and freeze immediately. They can be kept in this frozen state for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to cook the burgers, take them out of the freezer the night before and place them in the refrigerator until thawed.
How long does these burgers last in the fridge?
I like to store the burgers by themselves so the other ingredients don’t get soggy. They will last 3-4 days when properly stored.
More Easy Burger Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Ground Beef Burgers
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean 20% fat)
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices shredded cheddar cheese
Toppings: lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup, pickles, red onion, bacon, etc.
- Make the patties: In a large bowl, use your hands to gently combine the ground beef, onion, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Divide your mixture into four equal-sized, meat pucks about 2 1/2 inches thick.
- Cook the burgers: Heat a griddle (a large cast-iron skillet works or a stainless-steel skillet) over high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to the griddle or skillet and allow it to get hot. Add the patties to the griddle and let them cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Seasoning with more salt while they cook. You'll know it's ready to be flipped when the burger is browned and crisp. Once the burgers are almost done, plot a pat of butter on each burger and let it melt. Then add a slice of cheddar cheese on top and cook until it's melted.
- Burgers should read at least 160°F for a medium burger. Assemble burgers with your favorite toppings: butter lettuce, creamy Dijon mustard, ketchup, pickles, red onion, tomatoes, etc.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie
This is my go to Burger recipe, comes out perfect everytime! I personally don’t eat hamburgers but my family loves them and this recipe.
I am so glad, thank you so so much!!
Homemade is so very interesting and these Burgers look super delicious and yummy. Cant wait to check on it.
You just can’t go wrong with a good, classic burger! 🙂 Looks so good.
My family loved it!! A new favorite at my house!
My husband and I are all about deeply-flavorful homemade burgers! I love your quick simple recipe. It gets dinner on the table fast!
Quick, healthy and tasty – win/win! Thank you so much!! xo, Tawnie