This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Need an easy and healthy weeknight dinner? These cheesy broccoli rice cups will do the trick! Going low carb? Ditch the biscuit & eat as a casserole!
One of the hardest things for many of us is putting a quality meal on the table during the week. Rushing home from work, maybe having to go grocery shopping, taking kids to different sporting events or practices…whatever it is, we are all busy! This dinner makes things easy especially if you prep the rice ahead of time. It is one of those “mix everything in a bowl and pour it in a pan” type meals. Which is awesome.
I’m curious…what are your thoughts on brown rice vs. white rice? As a dietitian, I aim to fit all foods in my diet in moderation. I like this chart that shows the nutrient comparisons between white and brown rice (I pulled this from Today’s Dietitian Magazine)
[Tweet “Need an easy and healthy weeknight dinner? These cheesy broccoli rice cups will do the trick! Going low carb? Ditch the biscuit & eat as a casserole! Krollskorner.com”]
This is a super kid friendly as well! Even though I don’t have any kids of my own…I for some reason seem to make a lot kid friendly recipes. I am such a kid at heart that’s probably why 😉
Hope you enjoy!
PS – there will be leftover filling to make an extra casserole if you are not feeling like having it in a biscuit!
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2 cups rice (cooked, white or brown)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (used to cook the rice)
- 2 cans Pillsbury biscuits
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, white (sautéed)
- 3 cups broccoli, fresh (steamed and diced into small pieces)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste (or 1/2 tsp. each)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (plus additional for topping)
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 eggs
- optional topping: 1/2 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 2 Tbsp. melted butter
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the rice according to package (cook with chicken broth for more flavor).
- Meanwhile, mix all of the ingredients - expect the breadcrumb topping - together. Once rice is done, add into the broccoli cheese mixture and stir together well.
- Take each biscuit and form into a muffin tin and scoop the cheesy broccoli rice mixture in each biscuit. Top each cup with the breadcrumb mixture and a sprinkle of cheese if desired. Repeat until all biscuits are used. If there is additional broccoli rice filling, make a separate casserole! 🙂
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes and enjoy warm!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated. It should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kroll's Korner can’t make any guarantees to the accuracy of this information.