Texas Caviar Dip: If you want a new homemade bean dip for your family and friends…this is it!
It is simple, healthy, and delicious too. Great for parties, game day, potlucks or if you want it to have a snack throughout the week!
Table of contents
I originally got this recipe from my Aunt and I loved it and had to tweak it to make it my own.
I make it for get togethers quite often and it is always a hit! You can serve it with sliced cucumbers, chips, or just enjoy as is.
- Beans: This recipe calls for canned black-eyed peas, kidney beans, and black beans. Be sure to drain and rinse them.
- Corn: you will need both yellow and white canned corn. Can use canned, fresh or frozen (thawed).
- Cherry Tomatoes: or any tomatoes you have on hand (Roma, heirloom, plum, beefsteak, campari), diced.
- White onion: dice up finely. Can also use red onion if you prefer.
- Jalapeño: Seeded and finely diced.
- Avocado: I like to add this right before I plan to serve the dip so it doesn’t brown.
- Garlic powder, salt & pepper
- Italian dressing: If you have a favorite homemade dressing you can use that but to make it easy, I just add in a bottle of store-bought Italian dressing!
Step by Step Directions
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn. Place in large bowl.
- Dice the cherry tomatoes, onion and jalapeño. Add to beans and corn.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper chili flakes, if using.
- Toss everything together with the Italian dressing.
- Right before serving, dice the avocado and add on top.
- Serve as a salad or with chips and fresh veggies.
Tips and Modifications
- Feel free to add in more veggies such as diced up red and green bell peppers and celery.
- Omit the jalapeño if needed.
- Add in pinto beans instead of kidney beans if preferred.
- Bulk up this dip by adding in protein like bacon bits or diced chicken
- Add the avocado right before you plan to serve it so it doesn’t turn brown.
- This dip is also good with feta cheese or cojita cheese too!
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Texas Caviar Dip
- 1, 15 oz. can black beans
- 1, 15 oz. can black eyed peas
- 1, 15.5 oz. can kidney beans
- 1, 15.25 oz. can yellow corn
- 1, 15.25 oz. can white corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small white onion, diced (red onion works too!)
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper chili flakes (optional for more heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz. Italian dressing of your choice (1 bottle)*
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes (add last, right before serving)
- Drain and rinse canned beans and corn.
- Combine all ingredients in large serving bowl. Toss to combine in the salad dressing.
- You can serve right away as a salad or with chips/veggies. Before serving, dice the avocado and add on top.
- Note: You can refrigerate for several hours before serving. This allows the flavors to marinate!
- Feel free to change up the beans used and add extra veggies like cucumber or bell peppers if you have them on hand. This dip is always a hit at parties!
- I usually buy the Wish Bone Italian Dressing. If you feel like using the entire bottle is too much dressing for your preference, start with 1 cup. Taste, and add more as desired. One bottle (15 fluid oz.) is about 1 3/4 cups of dressing.
Hi, I’m Tawnie!
Welcome to my tiny “korner” on the Internet! I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who loves cookies as much as kale. (OK, maybe I like cookies a little bit more but shh, don’t tell anyone). I am so glad you’re here! Follow along for hassle free, realistic and approachable recipes.More about Tawnie