This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you ask me, tortellini skewers are such a cute party idea! I mean, aren’t you just drooling over these photos?
These are always a hit for any party, BBQs, Memorial Day Weekend, or even as a holiday appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
You can layer salami on these as well too but I kept these vegetarian friendly.
When you host your own party it can be a little overwhelming, especially if you are the one doing all of the cooking and cleaning.
These tortellini skewers will make your life and party planning prep a little easier because you can make the pesto, cube the cheese, and cook the tortellini the night before.
On the day of the party an hour or so before your gusts arrive, layer your fixings on the sticks and you’ll be good to go!
Anything to make things less stressful and I am in! I hope you love this speedy and delicious appetizer as much as I do!
- Tortellini: I use the refrigerated spinach and cheese tortellini. Use your favorite, just be sure not to over cook them because you don’t them falling apart on the skewers. I like to rinse them under cold water after they cook to help with this.
- Pepper-Jack cheese: Feel free to use any cheese you like best! Mozzarella would also be a great option.
- Cherry tomatoes: Or grape tomatoes. Be sure they are fresh and firm!
- Spinach: fresh baby spinach for the pesto works well. I have not tested this recipe with frozen spinach.
- Pine nuts: You can also use walnuts for the pesto if you’d like!
Step by Step Directions
- Make the tortellini and set aside.
- Make the pesto in a food processor.
- Assemble the skewers.
- Serve with pesto and enjoy!
Can these be made ahead?
Yes! Prepare the skewers and refrigerate until you serve.
Can I toss the ingredients in the pesto before threading on the skewers?
Yes, that’s a great idea! I would do this only if serving right away. Leave pesto on the side if serving at a later time.
Can I add meat?
Yes! Adding salami is a great option.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 1 (20oz.) package spinach and cheese tortellini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed pepper jack cheese, plus more as needed
- 16 skewers
For the pesto
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 large bunch basil, fresh
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the tortellini according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and let cold water run over tortellini to stop the cooking process. You do not want your tortellini to be mushy and fall off of the skewers.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the pesto and blend until smooth. Add more olive oil or seasonings if desired to get a consistency you prefer.
- Layer the ingredients on the skewers. I layer in this order: tortellini, tomato, cheese, tomato, tortellini. Once completed, place on a serving platter with the lemon spinach pesto in the center for dipping.
- Add on salami if you’d like too and other veggies like cucumber. You can use any cheese you like! Cheddar, jack, mozzarella etc.